sound in games

SPeedY_B

I may actually be insane.
recently I have noticed that when playing games the audio is choppy, for example, I was looking through my old games and came across max payne, so thought I'd give it a play.. but in the intro the sound jerks as do the visuals, once in the actual game though the game seems to run smooth except for audio.. (kind of like if something is maiming the cpu and it can't quite handle it)
It shouldn't be resources though.. I first played MP on this machine with half the quantity of ram (which was also only PC133 at the time) half the graphics memory and a cheaper sound card and it ran fine.

Here's my hardware setup :
1000Mhz AMD Athlon Thunderbird
ChainTech 7VJDA Main board
Mercury ATX Switching PSU - 300w
DDR-SDRAM PC2100 - 512mb [Single Dimm]
Fujitsi MPG3204AT 20.4GB 5400rpm Hard Disk
IBM / Hitachi 180GXP 120Gb 7200rpm Hard Disk
Samsung CD-R/RW SW-408B
LiteOn DVD-Rom 16x
[PCI] Hauppauge WinTV GO Card
[PCI] Creative Sound Blaster Live! Platinum
SB Live Drive
[USB] D-Link USB NetQam Pro 350 Plus
17" Hansol 710P
[AGP] nVidia GeForce 2 MX 400 64mb
[Eth0] D-Link DSL-300G+ Ethernet ADSL Modem
[PS/2] Genius Keyboard
[PS/2] Microsoft IntelliMouse Optical 1.0A

Software: Windows XP Pro/SP1, DirectX 9.0b, plus whatever detonators where available about 2 weeks ago

Any ideas?

I assume you're also running the latest Soundcard drivers, if not load them. Try also moving the sound card to a different PCI slot.

JJB

I have the same problem, if I try turn sharply in gameplay I get a buzz emit during the music. It only happened since I last formatted.
I have:

P4 s.oa Ghz Northwood chip
Abit SA7 motherboard
512Mb PC2700 (333mhz) DDR
IBM / Hitachi 180GXP 120Gb 7200rpm Hard Disk
IBM / Hitachi 180GXP 60Gb 7200rpm Hard Disk (180Gb in total, good choice of drive SpeedY ;))
Artec 52x32x52 CD-RW
Artec 48x16x DVD-ROM
SoundBlaster Live! 5.1
19" GNR monitor
GeForce 4 MX440SE 64Mb AGP Graphics
Built in network linking to my switch (3 other computers, including server before network running Smoothwall)
Some multimedia keyboard
Packard Bell USB optical mouse

Running Windows XP Pro/SP1, DirectX 9.0b with the latest offical dets.

whoops, thats a 2.0a Ghz P4 Northwood (512k L2 cache) chip

I havent got a clue where s.oa came from :/

Yup, latest creative driver pack is installed, I'll try switching the PCI slot tommorow, see if that helps at all.

hmm.. i just got myself a soundblaster live 5.1 (sounds great) and seems to work fine for me. I did notice when grabbing drivers that there was 2 diff packs ... a patch and then full set. what ones did you use?

Full set. The patch is for people who have a previous full set installed.

I've heard about the KX drivers being better than the Creative ones, would you say it was worth swapping over?

Definately. There's settings galore to play with, they've obviously helped my audio, they make the 4.0 sound better to with better levels of balancing. You can always make a restore point and go back if you don't like them :)

Aye, its something worth trying for sure. I'll check them out

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back