Sound cards?

R

RobbieSan

hey gang.. I'm looking to replace my SB Live! 5.1.. any recommendations other than Creative for sound cards?

I've heard about the Hercules Fortissimo and Turtle Beach Santa Cruz.. any others?

with your recommendations how are they for h/w quality and driver support?

btw, I am using the Creative Inspire 5300 5.1 series..

thanks all

Yea , I also recommend Audigy cards , especially :
- Audigy2 eX
- Audigy2 Platinum
- Audigy Player which I have (img. below )

3131_200.jpg

Stay away from any Creative cards if you care about sound quality.

1) They resample all audio to 48khz and do a poor job of it (quantization noise)
2) Drivers suck
3) Extrememly overpriced compared to cards that sound better and work better.

Turtle Beach cards are simply awsome. Audigy 2, that's nice, but to hell with that, I'm waiting for Audigy 3 :)

dreamliner77
what card do you recomend then??? what what does the sample rate do for quality, and is it the higher the better or lower better?? nad right now i am at 96KHz sample rate with my audigy card

Higher is better.

I've had no problems with my Audigy 2, sound quality is great!

Oh and you don't get a THX certification is the sound quality is bad. Simple as that.

Higher is not necessarily better when it comes to sample rate. Things should be played back using their native sample rates (mp3, cd's = 44.1khz dvd=48khz)

Playing back at a higher sample rate only gives you more chances for noise to enter. It CANNOT add sound quality.

I recommend the Terratec DMX 6 Fire, shown above, Turtle Beach Santa Cruz, Herucles Fortissmo III, Any cards from Delta or M Audio.

budget, high dollar, inbetween

I use Turtle Beach SC and CL Audigy 1, hell even some of the onboard sound, esp. the NFORCE2 boards, sound great. For price though, get the new Fortissimo. Great for games and DVD's and pretty good for audio.

JC

I'm just curious to know how someone can make an opinion about the different sound cards, when they are using a SB PCI16. I mean, have you installed each one and tested them for yourself?

well, dreamliner is right about the whole sample rate thing...

and i do know the DMX 6Fire beat out the Audigy in a review i read... especially when it came to sound accuracy and recording quality.

It's logical, sampling a 48Khz track at 128khz will produce only more noise.

M-Audio Revolution is my next sound card.

Audigy 2's don't perform according to their posted specs but are pretty good cards anyhow.

Just to reply, I don't use the PCI 16 in my main machine anymore, I use a Delta 10x10 recording card. But the I'll put the PCI 16 up against any of the Audigys anyday. The PCI 16 does not resample, I believe the last CL card not to resample was the 512. Regardless, sometimes the simplest cards are the best.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back