sound card woes

ladyvale

OSNN One Post Wonder
ok heres the thing,about a month ago my sound card decided to not play sounds anymore,i can play audio cds but not games or other formats,i cant play music files from my hard drive,winamp and media player both say i have no sound card installed, device manager says i have all the correct drivers and i have audio devices and no conficts but the multimedia in control panel is empty with no devices,ive tryed uninstalling my soundcard,reinstalled ok,uninstalled drivers,downloaded new ones,installed ok,uninstalled multimedia reinstalled ok,i even have a spare new soundcard,i put this in a different slot in the computer downloaded drivers and installed ok,same problem my volume is not muted,im out of ideas,i have everest hardware detection so i have the correct device names and as i say audio cds play great but nothing else. i am running win98se 450mhz and my soundcard is creative ct4810

Make sure your bios isnt set to onboard sound if u even have onboard sound.

I assume everest is another one of those brain dead driver download tools that work right about half the time? If yes, do the following in the order shown:

1) Get rid of everest.
2) Remove the sound card
3) Delete the sound card folder in windows
4) Remove the sound card entries in the windows configuration file (I think that's what it's called. It's been 3 years since I wasted my time using 98).
5) Find the install CD that came with the card and install thewindows 98 drivers for it and reboot.
6) If the sound works now leave it alone.

If the sound does not work yet:
7) Go to the manufacturers web site and find the latest win98 drivers download.
8) Install the drivers you downloaded and reboot (twice! don't ask why it's a 98 thing)

If the sound still does not work:
9) Remove card and reboot
10) Power down re-install card and reboot (twice)

If at this point the card does not work:
11) return the new card you bought and use the money to buy Win XP. Your computer will run 30% faster and the hardware installs will be pretty much automatic.

Some people will call me stupid and suggest you skip the first 10 steps and just do step 11). I will take no offense because they are right. I just wanted you to suffer enough first to make the expense of XP feel worth it.

PS Everest probably told you to put in a new driver that is not 98SE compliant. This happens, unfortunately you can't get back to your stable baseline now. If the system works never upgrade hardware drivers, bios etc. The upgrades are to fix known problems and can introduce problems to otherwise stable systems.

"If it ain't broke don't fix it."

Will xp even run on 450mhz? Otherwise he could upgrade to windows me :p lol jk.

yeh it can definitely run it as long as he has a bare minimum of 256mb ram

Alright just checking so he dont go and buy xp for no reason. I would really spend the money on upgrading the computer but if he/she is on a tight budget than going xp would be a good idea like Leejend said.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back