Sound card to Stereo Receiver question

tom9042

OSNN Senior Addict
I was going to try and connect my audio card (Chaintech AV710) to my old stereo instead of buying new speakers, since I have two pairs of stereo speakers. Unfortunately, the left speaker outputs (both main and remote) are dead. I've decided to buy a new receiver and would like to hook up the S/PDIF output from my AV710 to the receiver. The Yamaha receiver I was looking at has a digital input that looks a lot like the S/PDIF output, but does not use the S/PDIF term. Instead it says:

"DIGITAL AUDIO OPTICAL jacks: For digital audio signals transmitted via optical digital audio cable. You can use the digital jacks to input PCM, Dolby Digital and DTS bitstreams....All digital inputs jacks are compatible with 96-kHz sampling digital signals."

Will this work or will I have to use separate outputs from AV710 to the main and surround inputs on the receiver now (and subwoofer in the future)?

Thanks for any and all comments.

I believe that it would work. You would need a fiber optic cord to connect them is all I believe.

Keep in mind if you use this solution that you will only have stereo in normal use and games, so games will not use this solution to its fullest capabilities, Games will not playback in surround sound how they normally would with 3 plug analog PC speakers. The only thing that will use this potential setup correctly are DVD's and other sources that use discreet digital audio.

Unless of course the card you mentioned supports converting analog signals to a digital PCM signal similar to the HDA cards. Then of course this would work fine.

Thanks for the responses. I'll give it a try. My fallback position will still give me 5.1 sound.

Reps to both of you.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back