[Sound Card Review-ish] Asus Xonar D2 sorta review...

LordOfLA

Godlike!
For whatever reason the Creative 64-bit X-Fi drivers don't work if you meet either or both of the following requirments:

>3GB RAM or
nForce 680i motherboard.

I have both so my X-Fi was creating glorius 5.1 channel surround static at very high volume.

Since Auzentech can't seem to ship the prelude I decided to swap my order for the Asus Xonar D2 since it cost the same and was getting decent reviews.

While it lacks the ability of the X-Fi software to translate DS3D/EAX calls to OpenAL, this isn't much of an issue for me as I rarely play games that require positional audio these days.

Audio produced by the card is razor sharp and crystal clear, when wearing my Sennheiser HD280 Pro headphones I can make out tones, notes and instruments I didn't know existed when using the X-Fi (which in itself is an amazing piece of audio hardware).

The Logitech speakers are not quite as detailed but then I don't have them glued to my head with environmental noise attenuation so the extra detail is probably lost in the environment.

If you are in the market for a new soundcard and positional audio is not a "must-have" feature for you then I would highly recommend this card. If you are looking to plug it into a hi-fi or home cinema amplifier the card provides 4 3.5mm mini-jack to left/right phono input cables as well as an optical cable and adapters to fit the coax/optical combo ports.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back