Sony PSP Concept Design

Is it that an official concept? If so, that is pretty cool. Its pretty cool they got the size so small, with all the specs they've released.

Personal opinion, but I think it looks cack :p
If that was real, that screen's going to get scratched to f***, the buttons look kinda crappy (something slightly raised would be better..)

nah, dont like it :D

Aaaarrghhhh No Sony! Bad bad bad Sony!

They are looking into the possibilities of adding 'mobile communications technology' to the PSP :(

Please dont make it another N-Gage :(

No one could make something as poor as N-Gage... pretty muchly sums Nokia up that does really :p

I looked at it again, more closly this time and it appears that the people over at Sony can't render properly..the screen looks like it was copy pasted onto it.

could someone tell me what the PSP is for? i heard sony is making a mp3 device that will cost 60 dollars and supposedly beat the iPod. is this it?

Originally posted by jason2slow
could someone tell me what the PSP is for? i heard sony is making a mp3 device that will cost 60 dollars and supposedly beat the iPod. is this it?

The device in the top right corner is the PSP Universal Media Disc (UMD), a DVD-like dual-layer medium offering 1.8GB of storage.

Sony has already said that the PSP will be powered by a 90nm processor built from a MIPS 32-bit R4000 core. The chip will feature a SIMD vector processing engine along the lines of Intel's SSE 2 and PowerPC's AltiVec. It will feature 8MB of embedded memory clocked to 333MHz and operating at 1.2V. The memory bandwidth is quoted as 2.6GBps.

A second MIPS R4000 core will be used as the basis for the PSP's media engine, with 2MB of embedded DRAM, and again fabbed at 90nm.

Alongside these two chips will sit two dedicated graphics processors, one for high-level graphics manipulation, the other for the raw pixel shunting. This second core contains 2MB of embedded video memory operating across a 256-bit 5.3GBps bus. It can deliver a fill rate of 664 million pixels per second in 24-bit colour and churn out 33 million polygons per second with transform and lighting effects.

The PSP will feature Dolby 7.1 multi-channel audio, with 3D sound. It will support MP3, AAC and Sony's own ATRAC3 sound formats. It uses AVC (H.264) and MPEG4 for video. The machine's UMD media can hold up to two hours' of DVD-quality video or four hours 'standard' quality, whatever that is. Either way, movies are displayed on the unit's 4.5in 16:9 widescreen ratio 480 x 272-pixel LCD, seen here.

One of the key features of the PSP is 802.11b wireless networking for multi-player gaming

Originally posted by jason2slow

By the way - everything beats the Ipod. It's a very overpriced and cheap product with several flaws. The Acros and RCA mp3 drives beat the Ipods all over the place on price, features and quality.

SONY could yawn and beat the Ipod.

its not something like iPod...which stores music.... i think its basically for gaming and listening to music....

Design

Yyyyyeah.

If this is Sony's best shot, then I'm afraid I'm gonna keep my GBA SP.

Small as hell, difficult ergonomics, and what's with that stupid little lanyard thingie on its corner? What, I'm gonna attach my keys to my gaming device?

C'mon Sony. If you're going to try and compete with the best-selling console EVER, give it a halfway decent attempt with the design, alright?

~JM

God forbid PSP ever takes off,
I dont have a console, but Sony own too much and have sent respectable companies (Sega) close the wall, and for what - clones and more crap games than you can throw a stick at.

If they do well in the handheld market that may mean the end of Nintendo - i dont wanna live in that world - they are the best games designers in the world.

Sigh - if only they made PC games.

Just my opinion - flame on... :D

i definitely agree with you raja - with so many carbon copy games and overused concepts flying around, nintendo (and subsidiaries) have maintained a pretty constant flow of new stuff... if PSP nukes GBA and its future children, and then nukes nintendo, I won't be a happy gamer.

hopefully the supremely unattainably high price of the PSP and undoubtedly its accessories will keep it from acending to gaming heaven, and murdering the our classic gameboy.

but if it does take off, and all the people without an eccelctic video game taste spend four years worth of income on buying one, the future of video gaming looks bleak. Not to say that the PSP isn't cool looking, and isnt powerful - just to say that things like this have been done before which brings this back to the previous point - enough clone games and worthless ports - time for the industry to do something nutty, not the same crap again.

now is time for the flames to come :D

Agreed NerdUprising,

Thats the problem, Sony products are, in general, bought by people who want a "Safe" purchase - the mass consumer. So they get mass produced, but good quality, products. However that dosent cover what gets released alongside that product.

Unfortunately Sony dosent care what gets released for the Playstation, and I imagine won't care what gets released on the PSP either, as long as it makes money OR they get their royalties out of it.

I can only determine that a lot of people who buy Playstation games are uninformed about what they buy, because there are sooo many badly produced games out there and so few good ones, and yet the bad ones keep on coming.

Nintendo STILL produce top quality, and here the word kiddies, ORIGINAL games, nearly 100% of the time - first and foremost - and the basis of that development whether it be for the GameCube or GBA is the sales of the GBA games and units.

Burn in hell PSP :D

P.s Sega - Where are you.... sniff.

All consoles have bad games. The Gamecube has a whole lot of games that are 100% crap.

The GBA (nintendo) is just like SONY consoles: There is a virtual ton of games and 90% of them are sub-par crap.

The SONY PSOne has had some of the best games I've every played, and some of the most original.

The PSP isn't going to "own" the GBA. The GBA-SP is good hardware with really excellent games. The SP fits in my pocket really nice and it's very easy to carry around. Anything else will be annoying (even the GBA normal was) to carry unless you have a purse or backpack.

you are completely right, Vorpal - but the semi-underlying thing which I was getting at is that no matter what sorts of crap games come out for a system, there will be heaps of people buying that particular system just because their buddy Jim-Bob tells them its cool, and that they need one too (look at the bloody console situation we have in the states right now...) I pray that it stays under control, and things dont get out of hand.

Well I woudn't say Nintendo is 100% original...for example their last three Mario games released for GBA have been remakes.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back