Some questions on wireless networking in the home

gballard

OSNN Senior Addict
I am considering installing a wireless access point in my home. And I have a few questions for you gurus out there. I am planning on buying a 802.11b wireless access point and a 802.11b wireless PCMCIA card for a laptop. I currently have a four port hub networking 2 desktop computers. At the moment I only have a dialup connection but I am hoping I will have either DSL or a cable connection soon. One of the desktops will have the modem and some sort of NAT/firewall software running in order to share the internet connection with the other 2 machines. One question I have is do the access point and the wireless card have to be the same brand? Another question is are there any reasonably priced wireless access points and cards out there? I am not wanting to sink a large amount of money into this...but...I would like to give it a try. Any information would be appreciated.

Well, your idea of running sharing software on a PC and using an Access Point is the lowest cost but not really the best solution.

You should really look for a wireless cable router preferably combined with a multi-port (usually 4) switch. That provides you with protected internet access and Lan connectivity for all your PCs without always leaving one PC on. Some have dialup backup also. Its also easy to setup.

There are plenty around. Check SMC, Linksys, Netgear, Orinoco etc. Everyone has their own preference. Prices change all the time and you need to shop around when you are ready to buy.

If you like internet gaming and/or videocoference look for a router with UPnP capability.

My advice, stick with the same make for wireless router and PC cards to get best wireless connection and compatibility.

Good Luck.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back