some problems with FreeBSD 5.2.1

tournevice

OSNN Junior Addict
Hi!

1 - I've got some troubles with my cd drive. When I want to listen to an audio cd, I don't have any sound in my speakers. But, when I use my headphones, I can hear the music. I did a 'mixer' and there's no problem with the cd entry : 75/75. When I watch a dvd or a divx, no problem with the sound... :/

2 - I've got two hard drives. One with FreeBSD installed on (Master : 20Go), and an other with data on it (Slave : 120Go seagate). With dmesg, I can see that my first HD is in UltraDMA133 Mode and my second is in UltraDMA100 mode. But, It should be in UltraDMA133! What's the problem?

regards,

tournevice

are you sure the second hd is ATA-133, is it on a cable with any other devices??

the CD rom thing I am not too sure about, which audio card do you have? Also are you plugging your headphones into the sound card or the CDROM drive itself??

Geffy said:
are you sure the second hd is ATA-133, is it on a cable with any other devices??

the CD rom thing I am not too sure about, which audio card do you have? Also are you plugging your headphones into the sound card or the CDROM drive itself??
I plug my headphones into the cdrom drive itself... I've got a sound blaster live! card.

Both of my drives are on the same cable...

The hard drives thing is just odd, unless the drive just isnt ATA-133

the sound issue: what happens if you plug the speakers into the CDROM drive itself?? Does that work?

Can you attach a copy of your dmesg output?

you need to plug the wire from your CD drive into your motherboard/sound card, it allows music to be played over your sound blaster then.

Windows reads the files, then has the CPU decode and send it to the sound card, thus this little cable is not needed, FreeBSD tells the drive to start decoding, and send it straight to the sound card, so if the cable is missing then it will not let you play CD's.

Should be as simple as just opening the case, finding the wire, plugging it into your card.

if you have two drives, you will have to designate on drive for music CD's, can't have both unless your sound card supports it.

To lazy to edit the above.

How is your setup with the cables and the CD drives?

Like 20 Gb Master on IDE 1, with 120 GB Slave on IDE 1 and CD Rom on Master IDE 2?

I am still wondering if his audio device is properly detected

Geffy said:
I am still wondering if his audio device is properly detected
How can I do to see if my soundcard is not properly detected?
It's the only case where I can't hear music... :/

X-Istence : My setup with the cable is :

20 Gb Master on IDE 1, with 120 GB Slave on IDE 1 and CD Rom on Master IDE 2

tournevice said:
thats why I wanted your dmesg output ;)

tournevice said:

X-Istence : My setup with the cable is :

20 Gb Master on IDE 1, with 120 GB Slave on IDE 1 and CD Rom on Master IDE 2

As X said, you need the audio cable too, linux and unix do not do audio over IDE like Windows. Do you have this cable connected?

dmesg -a | grep pcm

should give you an output, same with cat /dev/sndstat

If nothing shows up in either one, you forgot to recompile your kernel to add in sound support.

Your drives seem okay, i don't see why it should not do 133.

j79zlr said:
As X said, you need the audio cable too, linux and unix do not do audio over IDE like Windows. Do you have this cable connected?
Yes, now I have this cable connected and it works. Thank you. I didn't knew that it works like that :)

X-Istence said:
Your drives seem okay, i don't see why it should not do 133.
Simply because my second drive is in UDMA100 mode lol. Sorry... I thought that it was 133... :/

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back