Some people are soooo stupid.

celticfan11

OSNN Senior Addict
So at work tuesday a computer wouldnt boot up. I took it from the lady and said i should have it fixed today if its the PSU. shes like ok. So it was the PSU and i swapped it out and put her PC back and told her its working fine now. She then thanked me. So today she comes up to me and says "Did you hear i got a new power supply the other day?" I said ya, i put it in. "Oh!, Well its working so much faster now. Things are loading so much quicker anbd it starts up faster, Thanks ALOT." Im like ok no problem.

[Sarcastic]Never knew PSU's affect performance like that. [/Sarcastic]

Another great story from her.

One Day the same lady said to me, "Mike there is a harddrive in the hallway can you remove it." I said sure, went and looked and found no harddrive. So i go back to her and say, i cant find a harddrive. So she walks out and says rite there whats that. Im like OHH You mean a computer. So she apparently calls computers Hard Drives.

Last edited:
celticfan11 said:
So at work tuesday a computer wouldnt boot up. I took it from the lady and said i should have it fixed today if its the PSU. shes like ok. So it was the PSU and i swapped it out and put her PC back and told her its working fine now. She then thanked me. So today she comes up to me and says "Did you hear i got a new power supply the other day?" I said ya, i put it in. "Oh!, Well its working so much faster now. Things are loading so much quicker anbd it starts up faster, Thanks ALOT." Im like ok no problem.

Never knew PSU's they affect performance like that.

Another great story from her.

One Day the same lady said to me, "Mike there is a harddrive in the hallway can you remove it." I said sure, went and looked and found no harddrive. So i go back to her and say, i cant find a harddrive. So she walks out and says rite there whats that. Im like OHH You mean a computer. So she apparently calls computers Hard Drives.

Alot of people refer to computers as hard drives. You shouldn't be surprised by that at this point, especially all the times we have heard NIC's called Network Interface Card Card :)

A PSU can definitely hinder/improve on performance. If the PC and components aren't getting enough juice, that would affect how they run. For example, I had a computer problem a few years ago that drove me NUTTY. The desktop icons would take forever to paint when the computer booted. After weeks of tinkering, someone had suggested a different PSU to try. Problem turned out that the PSU either wasn't performing up to snuff, or wasn't adequately power-rated. My computer needed more power to process the commands and give the hardware the power it needed to paint the icons, and do everything else that was required.

i laugh at her new PSU giving her more performace only because i used her PC before this problem and after. and noticed no difference. :)

We could list computer terms that people who don't know computers make mistakes with:

Their term--The right term

CPU=Computer
Hard Drive=Computer
Box=Computer
Flat Screen=LCD (they always insist my flat screen CRT is NOT a flat screen monitor)

Probably a bunch of others, but I can't think of them right now.

Unwonted said:
We could list computer terms that people who don't know computers make mistakes with:

Their term--The right term

CPU=Computer
Hard Drive=Computer
Box=Computer
Flat Screen=LCD (they always insist my flat screen CRT is NOT a flat screen monitor)

Probably a bunch of others, but I can't think of them right now.

download=install and vise vera
aol=internet

i have a story to top all yours. A older man was having someone come in and logonto his comp with a guest account. So one day he comes to me and says his computer wont start. Im like ok lets go look at it. Well it powered on weird but did a cold boot. When i opend up the case to look in i noticed that the hardive was unplugged. I though this was weird plugged it back in and still no good. I then asked him if he knew why his hardrive was unplugged. And his answer was as follows. " Well people were getting on my computer some how so i decided to just unplug my hardrive" he then elaborated that he did this while the computer was on. H then decided he didnt want to have it unplugged so plugged it back in while the computer was on still.. to make a long story short. HE unpluged both IDE and power to the hardive 5 or 6 times.. while the power was on.. lets just say i could never get anything of that hardrive again and told him he wasent allowed to touch things that took electricity anymore...

VenomXt said:
i have a story to top all yours. A older man was having someone come in and logonto his comp with a guest account. So one day he comes to me and says his computer wont start. Im like ok lets go look at it. Well it powered on weird but did a cold boot. When i opend up the case to look in i noticed that the hardive was unplugged. I though this was weird plugged it back in and still no good. I then asked him if he knew why his hardrive was unplugged. And his answer was as follows. " Well people were getting on my computer some how so i decided to just unplug my hardrive" he then elaborated that he did this while the computer was on. H then decided he didnt want to have it unplugged so plugged it back in while the computer was on still.. to make a long story short. HE unpluged both IDE and power to the hardive 5 or 6 times.. while the power was on.. lets just say i could never get anything of that hardrive again and told him he wasent allowed to touch things that took electricity anymore...

haha thats great.. that definitly tops mine.

VenomXt said:
..." Well people were getting on my computer some how so i decided to just unplug my hardrive" he then elaborated that he did this while the computer was on. H then decided he didnt want to have it unplugged so plugged it back in while the computer was on still.. to make a long story short. HE unpluged both IDE and power to the hardive 5 or 6 times.. while the power was on.. lets just say i could never get anything of that hardrive again and told him he wasent allowed to touch things that took electricity anymore...

While I can believe your story... you had a very bad experience... plugging/unplugging hard drives like that should not Kill a hard drive. MOst hard drives are shock tested as well as hot swapped just to avoid this kind of user mistake.

My story: I had a user complain about poor performance, I went up to see her, and sure enough the computer would take 3-4 minutes to boot up and another 3-4 to login to the domain. MOst any other would take 2 mins tops boot-up and domain login.

I told her: "I am not sure what the problem is ... and asked her: if she needed anything of the computer"

She responded: "No."

SO.... I gave her a new one.
She called me back saying: all her files were "missing" I went up to see her and I looked at her home directory, all her files were there, she was looking over my shoulder and she said: no not THERE.. here... and proceded to drive to the desktop...
I responded: "I thought you said you didnt need any files on your computer"
Her response: "I dont. they are on my home directory..."
:rolleyes: *DEER IN HEADLIGHTS LOOK*
My response: "Umm.. Ma'am your home directory is on your H: Drive.. not your desktop."
Her response: "Oh ok."
*sickening quiet sets in*
She asks: "Ok well get them back for me I need them"
My response: "Well... thats going to be kind of hard... this is the same PC I just reghosted the initial Image back on it."
*A DEER IN HEADLIGHTS LOOK FROM HER*

The next week we sent out a global email saying everyone needed to save any files they wanted to keep to their H: drive or risk any chance of losing all data forever. We spent 3 weeks helping people save their stupid files, because no one listened and we had scripted changing the security permissions to allow only system administrators to save to local drives.

*DEEP BREATH* thank god Im not there anymore....

mlakrid said:
While I can believe your story... you had a very bad experience... plugging/unplugging hard drives like that should not Kill a hard drive. MOst hard drives are shock tested as well as hot swapped just to avoid this kind of user mistake.

My story: I had a user complain about poor performance, I went up to see her, and sure enough the computer would take 3-4 minutes to boot up and another 3-4 to login to the domain. MOst any other would take 2 mins tops boot-up and domain login.

I told her: "I am not sure what the problem is ... and asked her: if she needed anything of the computer"

She responded: "No."

SO.... I gave her a new one.
She called me back saying: all her files were "missing" I went up to see her and I looked at her home directory, all her files were there, she was looking over my shoulder and she said: no not THERE.. here... and proceded to drive to the desktop...
I responded: "I thought you said you didnt need any files on your computer"
Her response: "I dont. they are on my home directory..."
:rolleyes: *DEER IN HEADLIGHTS LOOK*
My response: "Umm.. Ma'am your home directory is on your H: Drive.. not your desktop."
Her response: "Oh ok."
*sickening quiet sets in*
She asks: "Ok well get them back for me I need them"
My response: "Well... thats going to be kind of hard... this is the same PC I just reghosted the initial Image back on it."
*A DEER IN HEADLIGHTS LOOK FROM HER*

The next week we sent out a global email saying everyone needed to save any files they wanted to keep to their H: drive or risk any chance of losing all data forever. We spent 3 weeks helping people save their stupid files, because no one listened and we had scripted changing the security permissions to allow only system administrators to save to local drives.

*DEEP BREATH* thank god Im not there anymore....

Good story, but to be honest I don't really see how she can be blamed. Everything should be backed up, especially when (at the time) there is no user policy in place to block what seems to have gotten blocked later. Granted, she is at fault, non-computer proficient people can't be held accountable for that. I'm shocked a company that has a Domain with AD and even has policies at all, doesn't have any type of backup policy....

You are right, glad you aren't there anymore. That place needs work.

plugging/unplugging hard drives like that should not Kill a hard drive. MOst hard drives are shock tested as well as hot swapped just to avoid this kind of user mistake.
try pluggin in and unplugging in your drives and see how many of them work after hehe.
And still he isnt allowed to touch things.

kcnychief said:
Good story, but to be honest I don't really see how she can be blamed. Everything should be backed up, especially when (at the time) there is no user policy in place to block what seems to have gotten blocked later. Granted, she is at fault, non-computer proficient people can't be held accountable for that. I'm shocked a company that has a Domain with AD and even has policies at all, doesn't have any type of backup policy....

You are right, glad you aren't there anymore. That place needs work.

Ill give you a VERY basic Idea of how fast we had to implement this project:

Only 4 months to deploy Per DESK (and then it breaks down per user below):
-- One Copper drop to Unclass Domain (1 Per User)
-- One Copper drop to Classified Cisco VOIP 7940 or 7960 Phones (1 per user)
-- Four MM Fiber drops (1 spare and possibly 3 different Domains of various classifications usually 2 per user)

ALL Domains required Local policy as we had our own Domain controllers, which we were neever given the Group Policies as determined by the agencies responsible for the domains.

4 Domains (3 with DoD differeing classifications)
over 800 users in the building minimum 2 Pcs per person on Cybex Switch
All developers had 2 LCD screens approx 250 of the 800 people in the building

Keep in mind all of this had to be done, and CERTIFIED ready for occupation all the while the contractors putting in the desks were breaking our fiber pairs and the cat5 cables when moving the partitions around... and we really only had 60 days because the building needed to be certified a non-hazardous workspace or we all had to wear hardhats and steel-toe work boots...

Also back-ups ONLY happened on PCS with software not normally on the baseline and Home/Share/Portal directories...

We had an IBM Shark with 44 TB of storage there was NO Reason for people to us anything other than their home directories...

Also no one in the building was a computer novice... we were ALL in IT related fields... and you probably guessed by now ..in DC of all places...

and I worked with the most proficient people to date all of them had more experience than I do, and I have been in the IT/Telecommunications field since 1990

A+
Net+
iNet+
Sec+
CCNA
Certified Naval Telecommunications Technician
Certified Naval Cryptographic Equipment Technician (KG-84C Certified)

Last edited:
mlakrid said:
Ill give you a VERY basic Idea of how fast we had to implement this project:

Only 4 months to deploy Per DESK (and then it breaks down per user below):
-- One Copper drop to Unclass Domain (1 Per User)
-- One Copper drop to Classified Cisco VOIP 7940 or 7960 Phones (1 per user)
-- Four MM Fiber drops (1 spare and possibly 3 different Domains of various classifications usually 2 per user)

ALL Domains required Local policy as we had our own Domain controllers, which we were neever given the Group Policies as determined by the agencies responsible for the domains.

4 Domains (3 with DoD differeing classifications)
over 800 users in the building minimum 2 Pcs per person on Cybex Switch
All developers had 2 LCD screens approx 250 of the 800 people in the building

Keep in mind all of this had to be done, and CERTIFIED ready for occupation all the while the contractors putting in the desks were breaking our fiber pairs and the cat5 cables when moving the partitions around... and we really only had 60 days because the building needed to be certified a non-hazardous workspace or we all had to wear hardhats and steel-toe work boots...

Also back-ups ONLY happened on PCS with software not normally on the baseline and Home/Share/Portal directories...

We had an IBM Shark with 44 TB of storage there was NO Reason for people to us anything other than their home directories...

Also no one in the building was a computer novice... we were ALL in IT related fields... and you probably guessed by now ..in DC of all places...

and I worked with the most proficient people to date all of them had more experience than I do, and I have been in the IT/Telecommunications field since 1990

A+
Net+
iNet+
Sec+
CCNA
Certified Naval Telecommunications Tehcnician
Certified Naval Cryptographic Equipment Tehcnician (KG-84C Certified)

How can someone not be a computer novice when they refer to the home directory as their desktop? I understand your pressure situation, and not to make excuses, but you should do it right, or not at all.

Why was this deadline so tight? Whoever proposed that definitely didn't give a realistic timetable for deployment.

kcnychief said:
Whoever proposed that definitely didn't give a realistic timetable for deployment.

are any timetables ever realistic for given projects? :)

We had the head of our HR department send an e-mail stating that "I need a new cartilage for my printer." ..........................

When i worked at my internship i had a lady and this is what i had her do....EDIT (this was over hte phone)

sign on to AOL (to connect to the internet)
minimize AOL
Open IE
Goto website A
Click here
Then Click here
Then finally click here and this link will solve your problem.
To get her to do those few steps, took her literally 45 minutes.

I also have an MP3 i stole from our voicemail at the internship where a lady cried cause we were not there. I will upload it later when im home and have time.

Last edited:
I came over to help the director of one of our departments and I told her to go to the webpage she had problems with. SO, she opens up IE, clicks on the Google Toolbar and in the search field types in: yahoo,com (just like that, with the comma). Google then finds yahoo.com on the results page, which she proceeds to click on.
ROFL

kcnychief said:
How can someone not be a computer novice when they refer to the home directory as their desktop? I understand your pressure situation, and not to make excuses, but you should do it right, or not at all.

Why was this deadline so tight? Whoever proposed that definitely didn't give a realistic timetable for deployment.

Ya got me...

And the Project was for the Geoscout Transformation Center a non-descript building for lease to the US Govt for NIMA. Anyway... I didnt ask for the job, they were looking for people who had the exact same experience in fast roll outs because of the tight timelines...

We all got awards from the Director of Naval Intelligence since this was a cooperative venture between the ONI and NIMA.

Its Govt politics.. simply put.. my P3NI$ is bigger than yours contest in my opinion....:speechless: oops did I say that?

Hehe

<-------------------------- You know what to do!!

fimchick said:
We had the head of our HR department send an e-mail stating that "I need a new cartilage for my printer." ..........................

Hehehee

:dead:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back