Some iPods Come With a Virus

Re: Some iPod comes With a Virus.

Edited title. It is iPod not I-Pod.

Re: Some iPod comes With a Virus.

More info...
Apple posted a support document today indicating that a small number (less than 1%) of Video iPods available for purchase after September 12, 2006 shipped with the Windows RavMonE.exe virus.
This known virus affects only Windows computers, and up to date anti-virus software which is included with most Windows computers should detect and remove it. So far we have seen less than 25 reports concerning this problem.

Only the Video iPod is potentially affected. The iPod nano and iPod shuffle are virus free. Apple has reportedly corrected the issue and all currently shipping Video iPods are virus free.

The virus does not affect Mac OS X or the iPod itself. After Apple takes an ill-timed jab at Windows for not doing enough to prevent virus attacks, they provide instructions on how to remove the virus if you are affected. RavMonE is described as a Trojan which affects Windows and reduces system security, opens links and potentially allows others to access the affected computer.

Interestingly enough, just yesterday McDonalds (partnering with Coca-Cola) was found to have given away some trojan-horse laden MP3 players in Japan (no, they weren't iPods).

Friend of mine got a dell recently that was infected with Win32.XP.Pro.SP2

*runs*

I've been following this story. Can someone explain to me how Apple can blame Microsoft for its device shipping from its facility with a virus? Seems rather odd to me.

Then again, didn't Sony blame Dell for the battery episode?

It's the usual jab at MS's security by Apple. It's nothing new, and therefore not to be take seriously, but as a joke. ;)

I think the iPods were actually connected to PCs before leaving for distribution. I'm not sure if part of the testing process is performed on PCs, or what, but whatever the case those iPods got the virus from PCs, or a single PC there that was infected.

Still, if those computers were under the control of Apple then it is their responsibility to secure them. That virus didn't ship with Windows (hold the jokes), it got there thanks to an Apple employee.

Still, if those computers were under the control of Apple then it is their responsibility to secure them. That virus didn't ship with Windows (hold the jokes), it got there thanks to an Apple employee.

I agree completely. Then again, every time I've had a virus/trojan (just a few times!) I'd partly blame Microsoft for not making it more difficult to get infected by one. This was long before I even cared to look at an Apple computer, too.

I think Apple is doing the same thing, but publically.

It is quite a strange scenario. Fortunately it's just about 1% of that iPod line, and it doesn't mean much to somebody purchasing one who doesn't own a PC.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back