Some help needed with IE and Mozilla

R

Ramanuman

Hi folks,

Recently, IE started dragging on my pc : The pages load rather fast, as usual, but all operations from then on are slooow.
For example, scrolling up and down a page takes forever, as does selecting text for cut-and-paste.

I'm fairly convinced that happened right after I applied a reg tweak from IE-SpyAd. But I also tried Spyware Blaster at that time...
In any case, reversing the reg tweak didn't do any good.

Does anybody have a solution to offer ? Or if someone could at least tell me how to clean uninstall IE, maybe a fresh install would help...

Right now, I'm using Mozilla instead (I usually use it in conjonction with IE, depending what I want to do).
But there's this little bug that annoys me no end with it : Whenever I download a picture or sound file from a site, the box asking me what I want to do with it appears ("open with default application", "open with", or "save to disk").
And even unticking the "Alway show this dialog before handling files of this type" won't make it go away.

Can someone offer a suggestion ?

Thanks in advance

where have you been old friend?

To Reinstall IE6:

1) Insert the Win XP CD

2) windows key+r paste this;

rundll32.exe setupapi,InstallHinfSection DefaultInstall 132 c:\windows\inf\ie.inf

ENTER

let us know

Originally posted by dealer
where have you been old friend?

To Reinstall IE6:

1) Insert the Win XP CD

2) windows key+r paste this;

rundll32.exe setupapi,InstallHinfSection DefaultInstall 132 c:\windows\inf\ie.inf

ENTER

let us know
Hey Dealer. :)
thanks for the tip.

I still come and lurk from time to time. How about you : Life treating you alright ?

Well, oh well... Re-installing didn't help. :(
I also tried applying the latest patches from MS.com, to no avail.

I get the feeling IE will stay screwed until my next formatting session.

Re: Re: Some help needed with IE and Mozilla

Originally posted by Enyo
IE-SpyAd does would not cause any adverse behaviour, nor would Spyware Blaster. They both simply create block lists in the registry and dont change any settings in your browser.
Well, I just don't know what happened then : One day IE was doing alright, then I had that problem with some site changing my start page, so I applied SpyAd and scanned with all the spyware tools I have. And then everything went slow.

Could be just a coincidence. But I still don't know what to do to fix this. :confused:

Could it be left overs of the browser Hijack?

Have you used HijackThis! and checked the log over for any "helper objects" that may be up to no good?
No, I'll admit I haven't tried that one yet. I'll have a look.

I'm leaning toward a hardware issue.

how arte your other programs behaving?

check windows key+pause break to see if all of your memory is reported.

check taskmanager to view your cpu useage

Hardware's all right. And there's been no changes there in ages.
And all the other apps are running fine.

I see you ahve it resolved with highjack this

you posted on te wrong thread

Ramanuman if you could kindly remove yourself from the other thread and reply to the right one that would be nice.

Either that or dealer can just go ahead and delete your posts from that thread.

Good to here its all working again.
All done. Sorry about the mess up.

Originally posted by Ramanuman
Right now, I'm using Mozilla instead (I usually use it in conjonction with IE, depending what I want to do).
But there's this little bug that annoys me no end with it : Whenever I download a picture or sound file from a site, the box asking me what I want to do with it appears ("open with default application", "open with", or "save to disk").
And even unticking the "Alway show this dialog before handling files of this type" won't make it go away.

Are you using the latest version of Mozilla? Also, is the site you are refering to using an older version of vBulletin? There's supposed to be a bug in the old version of vBulletin that causes problems with Mozilla. We used to have the same problem on these forums before we updated to vB 2.3.0 :)

Re: Re: Some help needed with IE and Mozilla

Originally posted by NetRyder
Are you using the latest version of Mozilla? Also, is the site you are refering to using an older version of vBulletin? There's supposed to be a bug in the old version of vBulletin that causes problems with Mozilla. We used to have the same problem on these forums before we updated to vB 2.3.0 :)
Thanks, but everything really did come back to being excellent.
I'd scanned with 3 spyware removal utilities, but it took a 4th to finally reveal what was bugging me.

If you mean my problem with the download dialog box not wanting to stop showing up, I just tried on a not-vbulletin site, without success.
I'm using 1.3.1.
But, really, it's a very minor annoyance now, since I'll tend to use IE for forums like this. And now it's all fixed. :)

You could also go into your mozilla preferences and edit the helper apps section. You can create a new type or edit an existing one.

See attachment...

Great Gonaads, it works.

(Gonads & strife, gonads & strife, gonads & strife...)

Originally posted by Ramanuman
Great Gonaads, it works.

(Gonads & strife, gonads & strife, gonads & strife...)

Hahahaha... You remember. :p

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back