Solaris 10

ejn74

Average Dude!
Political Access
Has anyone tried to work with Solaris 10?

I am in the process of installing it right now.
the install is a bit different.

I have not had any luck with it yet. Also really busy wiyh a newborn.

I myself have not used it. I have seen screenshots and have heard that it's abit differnt. No just the install but many things. You gotta know your stuff.

Bman™ said:
I myself have not used it. I have seen screenshots and have heard that it's abit differnt. No just the install but many things. You gotta know your stuff.

I have been figuring that out. Thanks for the screenshot link!

solaris 10 is an awesome OS, I dont have the time at the moment to sit and get used to its finer points, however the installer I used (express 10 from january) couldnt do a minimal install. Trial and error got me a minimal install however installing gcc 3.4 via pkgsrc (netbsd's package and dependancy managment system) wasnt playing ball. If I'd had more time I'd have gotten it all going but as it is I took the machine back to freebsd.

In all if you have the time to sit and learn it (and be prepared for alot of reinstalling, and eventually tracking down how to fix it instead of reinstalling) go for it :)

Edit: If it helps any its based off of UNIX System V

Thanks for the info LOL it helps some. I was hoping it would install like a lot of linux os's do but I have found out it does't.

Yea, Unix system installs are much better. Also, if you got a good eye like me. The system itself in Linux OS's are much cleaner looking then Solaris 10. That's just extremes lol, but still.

Plus, Linux is free. Isn't this not?

solaris 10 is free too. Infact at opensolaris.com(org?) you can get the sourcecode too :D

BTW, Linux has a long way to go bfore its as clean and admin friendlly as unix is at the moment. Linux is still trying to make the desktop user happy and a sa result it has 6,000 files to configure anything adn the commandline tools are not all that intuitivly named.

That is true. Either way, if your into testing and such, then any of these "OS" are great to use. I know I had some fun playing around with Redhat.

LordOfLA said:
solaris 10 is free too. Infact at opensolaris.com(org?) you can get the sourcecode too :D

BTW, Linux has a long way to go bfore its as clean and admin friendlly as unix is at the moment. Linux is still trying to make the desktop user happy and a sa result it has 6,000 files to configure anything adn the commandline tools are not all that intuitivly named.

So you have worked with unix then?

for the last 5 years :)

and as part of my job at the moment :D

though not strictly unix as in the real thing but FreeBSD is based on BSD unix (actually BSD Lite which is a stripped down version of BSD unix)

So does FreeBSD Install pretty Easy?

very easy :)

In about 10 minutes :)

then you spend a day or two staring it application compiles :p

Its a good idea to put NO_X = True and WITHOUT_X11=yes into /etc/make.conf onf a freebsd server btw

ejn74 said:
So does FreeBSD Install pretty Easy?
Smooooth. :)
Just installed it on a server last evening. You might have noticed the thread I posted in this section.

Love FreeBSD myself. run it all over the place. Infact the website you are visiting at the moment runs it :p

Thanks Folks for the Information. I will give it a try then.
Is this a live CD of it= 5.4 Release- i386- bootonly.iso?

Last edited:
Nope, not a live CD. For a live cd grab FreeSBIE. FreeBSD is to be installed first. It is just a server, not a gui. Boot only means you can boot from the CD, then install over the network or from an FTP server mirror.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back