Software to Sync Two Physical Hard Drives

kcnychief

??? ??? ?
Political Access
I have a NAS device that will function as an FTP, mostly to receive files from people (scheduled backups that will auto-upload). I want to set this up to sort of synchronize to another drive. I want any files on the internal drive to go to that and any files from the NAS to come to the internal drive. I would expect the timestamps to be compared or something along those lines.

Not really so much a "Vista Application" - but the software should install on Vista as that is what I am running.

I have done similar functions with batch files and such, but I was looking for something somewhat more sophisticated. Due to the importance of these files, peace of mind is important :)

I highly recommend SyncBack (I use the freeware version), been using it for almost a year now to do exactly what you want to do.

why not just use a nice robocopy script? Comes included with Vista and I've been able to do pretty much anything I wanted to with it (including a poor man's FRS replication over multiple slow WAN links prior to Windows 2000)

I know this is a bit off topic but I am in the market to do close to what your doing and was wondering if you could tell me what NAS your using?

Im looking for a NAS with a min 1 terabyte.

Last edited:
see I'd just build a windows box with a small primary hard disk for the OS and throw the others into a windows dynamic disk array or something like freenas...

I highly recommend SyncBack (I use the freeware version), been using it for almost a year now to do exactly what you want to do.

I seem to recognize that name as if I have heard of/read about it in the past - I downloaded it and will play this weekend - thank you.

I know this is a bit off topic but I am in the market to do close to what your doing and was wondering if you could tell me what NAS your using?

Im looking for a NAS with a min 1 terabyte.

I have a Buffalo Terastation that I use at a client site which works great, and for my use here at home I have a Buffalo LinkStation Pro 500GB.

The LinkStation suits my needs as it is only for a spot to receive client data so I don't have to leave a PC on 24x7. I have two clients I house backups for, and only with a 30 day history. If it gets to the point where I need more space I may upgrade, or just burn to DL DVDS - haven't decided yet and this is the first month I have offered the service.

Heck, if this area of my business grows I'll need a SAN soon enough :D

see I'd just build a windows box with a small primary hard disk for the OS and throw the others into a windows dynamic disk array or something like freenas...

I may end up with that, but this was the cheapest method atm as all I had to add was this one device. I can daisy chain two additional USB solutions to it, which gives decent scaliability too :)

I seem to recognize that name as if I have heard of/read about it in the past - I downloaded it and will play this weekend - thank you.

You probably heard it from Kunal. He pointed me to it too.

Quite possible, that kid is everywhere :eek:

If this works, I can put it to good use. May even get the paid version because it seems it can license for up to 5 installations, w00t :cool:

Quite possible, that kid is everywhere :eek:
Yeah, I remember writing about SyncBack sometime in early 2005. :)

I don't use it much anymore because FolderShare is better suited for my purpose (keeping multiple machines always in-sync), but SyncBack sounds like it would be more appropriate for what you want to do.

I just got around to trying this out, really need to step up my home backup setup.

Works great though, very efficient and easy to use - thanks!

Sorry to bump a thread nearly a year old, but need to re-evaluate the situation. Any other recommendations for anything besides Syncback?

did you even pay attention to what i posted on msn - quite obviously you did not :D

allwaysync

but you asked the same question on im - and i answered - so you pay attention or the Yankees wont win anything this season, i will use my carpo voodoo on them :p

Have been using SyncBack for all of the trial and love it, purchased it just this morning :)

I use a Linksys NSLU2 as NAS, I have two harddrives connected to this. Every night I run a backup from one disk to another.

For syncing (echoing actually) my data from my desktop and laptop pc (XP and Vista) I use synctoy from Microsoft. You can run multiple jobs (backup, sync, echo etc etc) and with the scheduler you can schedule multiple backupjobs. I have 3 jobs running every day (in the morning, afternoon and at night). Never lost data (yet, knock on wood...)

With this setup I have just about three copies of my data (most important are my large collections of pictures and homevideo's).

And just to add one more thing: synctoy is for free and runs on XP and Vista!

And Carpo: I think the Red Sox will win the Series once again this year!

Have been using SyncBack for all of the trial and love it, purchased it just this morning :)

I bought it as well. It's a great app, I use multiple profiles such as:

Sync Laptop and Desktop
Backup to Server
Backup to WD Passport
Sync server to WD Passport

It's nice cause you can have profiles run when you insert hardware. I have the Backup to WD Passport automatically run when I plug it in. You can specify the device by volume name, drive letter or what I use: drive serial number.

I know we dont always want to praise Microsoft..... but "Synctoy" 1.4 or 2.0 do a good job on syncing partitions / folders etc.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back