Socket 939 + AGP? Whats out there ?

I'm loosing my respect for ASUS. Their product has been getting a lot of bad reports about RAM compatibility since 3200 has become common. One guy I know was told by ASUS tech support he had to raise the voltage above rated on his RAM to make the board run stable.

And I haven't touched MSI since I saw three of their products failed because of poor assembly work. That's $600 worth of scrap.

I buy rot gut brands now and am not disappointed if I have to replace them and am ecstatic when they turn out good.

Asus boards since about the A7 series, I'd say, have been picky about ram but I find it quite simple, just use Crucial, Samsung, or Kingston and stay away from these crap "X-Treme!" brands/special editions. Anyhow, I really don't see what the problem is, just stay to quality products and you won't run in to any issues. :)

I've never really considered MSI as good as everyone thinks they are. The build quality's always been a little sub-par and it seems like they just throw on a lot of excess crap and try to cover up the rest. There are worse makes out there but I wouldn't consider MSI as one of the top.

I only showed some Asus boards because the poster wanted to know what was out there and everyone was cramming MSI down their throat. I'd also recommend DFI, EPoX, and several other brands.

I never said anything was wrong with ASUS or the asus boards for the 939. I'm speaking from experience on the Neo2 board which I feel is outstanding in quality, feature rich and rock solid stability. I've heard the A8V Deluxe is a great board as well. But I'd rather suggest something I've used rather then what I've just read.

ShepsCrook said:
I never said anything was wrong with ASUS or the asus boards for the 939. I'm speaking from experience on the Neo2 board which I feel is outstanding in quality, feature rich and rock solid stability. I've heard the A8V Deluxe is a great board as well. But I'd rather suggest something I've used rather then what I've just read.
Never said you said anything was wrong with Asus. Simply giving the people reading this thread other options than just the MSI board.

I have a 939 Asus A8V Delux and would say it's probably the best board I have ever owned as far as features and stability.

Using a gig of dual chan OCZ Rev. 3 ram, no problem.s

a8v deluxe user here too

the board gets better as you use it :D

a8v e deluxe is the same as a8v but comes with a pci express slot

only thing about the board is to get rev 2.0 since thats the one with working agp/pci locks

Attachments

• untitled10.JPG
    untitled10.JPG
    121.5 KB · Views: 93
Weasel said:
What is everyone's infactuation with MSI? Yeah, there's a lot worse out there but they're not the best bang for your buck. And anyhow, what's wrong with the Asus A8V Deluxe or A8V-E Deluxe? They both have what this person is looking for.

Doesn't that generalize that people have something wrong with ASUS if they are all commenting on MSI?

I went and got the ASUS A8V deluxe and I am very happy with it and I got the Athlon 3500+_

woot woot !!!

I would just like to add another option which is not out of the question (IMHO) - I would say the ASUS is the top budget option, especially if you get one of the bundled ones with wifi rather than necessarily deluxe. Then the MSI is expensive, but probably quality (I have one and it sure works for me - although I find the North Bridge fan a small annoyance).

I would like to mention the Abit board that is out there with their proprietary "3rd Eye" gimmick though - for some overclockers this could hold it's own attractions and might be another one to consider.... I'll edit in the model or whatever sometime if I look it out...

MSI K8N Neo2 if you want AGP or Neo4 if you want PCIe :)

Kee an eye on DFI or albatron too as they have some awesome designs coming to market over the comning months if you trust the rumour mill.

Asus seem to have been caught napping by MSI I sill dont see a viable offering from them.

That has reminded me - I comended an Albatron to Shepscrook and I believe he may well have that one running - perhaps he would like to give some experiences inpu ton it - it is another budget option if you just want a solid mobo I think and not the extras ASUS throw in....Oh yeah and looked up that Abit number - it is the AV8 3rd Eye mobo I was referring to in my previous post....

I have had experience with Abit, Asus, gigabyte, and Tyan. out of these only Gigabyte ever gave me any problems.. and being that I OC every pc I own, I would have to say Asus or Abit would be my 2 personal choices...

I have never used one, but many of my friends have used ECS boards and swear by them... the only thing I can honestly say that I have recently found out about asus is that their support has been headed in the wrong direction. When I tried to upgrade my bios, which I FINALLY did, it took me 2 days to figure out that I had done it, they werent very clear on how to make sure it completed, and the Asus site did not specify how exactly to find the current version listed, I say this because it is NOT the one in your bios setting. I Love Asus mobos I have never had one quit or breakdown on me, and albeit a bit more expensive its better IMHO to buy the "mercedes" of the mobo scene and just tweak it then to but a "pinto" and put in an entirely new power plant , transmission, and drive train and call it a "Pinto-Ghini"

System SPecs:
Thermal Take Tsunami w 2x 120mm and 1 92mm fans w/ red LEDs and fiberglass cover
Intel P4 3.2Ghz Prescott OC to 3.5Ghz (for now)
Asus P4C800-E Deluxe
Sapphire 256MB 9600 8x AGP vid
Corsair TWINX PC3200 2GB Paired memory 3-3-3-8
36GB WD Raptor 10000RPM HD
XP Pro w/SP2
350W Antec PSU

I'm thinking of upgrading my PC. Would you go for a MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum or an Asus A8V - Deluxe?

ASUS A8V Deluxe

As I said I owe 2 of these boards and they are flawless

there is absolutely nothing wrong with my asus board nor the ram i have in it. It has operated flawlessly ..even in SLI mode which people dont need at home as one guy put it.

I love Asus as stated before but I have heard good things about the Neo board, I will stay neutral, but I would mention that serious PC builders that have used Asus in the past come back again and again and again.... use that as a guide and you might find yourself in the Asus fray...

:D

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back