SoCal folks - did you feel the quake?

NetRyder

Tech Junkie
There was yet another earthquake here this morning. It's the third one since Sunday. The first one (magnitude: 5.2) happened on Sunday with the epicenter in Riverside here in Southern California. It happened sometime in the morning, so I just slept right through it. My parents didn't wake up to that one either. I was in LA, they were in Orange County.

The second one started up in Northern California on Tuesday and it was much stronger with a magnitude of 7.0. That one actually raised a tsunami warning, but thankfully nothing has happened.

Today's quake had its epicenter in the San Bernardino County, just east of LA. This one again had a magnitude of around 5.3, and it was definitely very noticeable. I was downstairs microwaving some food and I saw the glass doors to the patio shaking and rattling for a few seconds. Anyone else here feel it?

Wonder what's going on... :eek:

NetRyder said:
Wonder what's going on... :eek:
Its the end of the world man, but hey... atleast I will have beachfront property now. I live just east of Sacramento.... hehe.

Aprox said:
Its the end of the world man, but hey... atleast I will have beachfront property now. I live just east of Sacramento.... hehe.

We're practically neighbors...ha. Maybe I'll have beachfront property too someday :eek:

Lots of volcanic activity in this corner of the ring of fire...just had a 7.something off the coast near the oregon border and now another good rattling in LA.

LA area ca. 2008:
30424305-045_large.JPG

i was rockin', but my kids never even noticed... :)

On the topic of weird weather...we actually had a Tornado warning here in Calgary last week :s

Another one? I wonder what's going on with mother nature now. Last year 3 successive hurricanes hit Florida, and now this. At least the last quake was of a smaller magnitude then the second.

I hope this isn't a prelude to something more nasty (read an 8.5 or 9.0+ magnitude quake) building up alog the fault line there such as the one we saw about 12-15 years ago or so...

Nothing, even half as bad as a quake, but we've got several days (at least) of 100+ degree weather headed our way from what some were saying.

/me must get A/C in car fixed...

Global warming? yeah, thats why its raining in california in the middle of JUNE!!! :p

@Unwonted - where abouts do you live? I live on the 80 corridor.

Aprox said:
Global warming? yeah, thats why its raining in california in the middle of JUNE!!! :p

@Unwonted - where abouts do you live? I live on the 80 corridor.

Yuba City/Marysville area

Aprox said:
Well a few degrees change in one part of the world can change weather across the globe, and has.

On Monday I went out wearing me big winter coat and gloves,today it's t-shirt and short's weather :speechless:

What I sometimes found funny...

Hot in Washington DC, it's global warming

Temps drop, imminent and oncomming ice age.

I've actually heard both argued, sometimes intermittently :D

Well, I'm not a geologist but global warming would make a difference in terms of the volume of water in the sea, but nature could also be causing these events itself without the global warming factor.

Remember earth is a unique planet and has always been unstable to some extent, even after the coming of the ice age.

Unwonted said:
Yuba City/Marysville area

Yuba City Marysville? I know there was one off the coast of Eureka, but that's nowhere near Yuba City or Marysville. Did I miss something?

Dublex said:
Well, I'm not a geologist but global warming would make a difference in terms of the volume of water in the sea, but nature could also be causing these events itself without the global warming factor.

Remember earth is a unique planet and has always been unstable to some extent, even after the coming of the ice age.

Actually, as to the polar caps, there is a slight matter to take into consideration. One's talking like -70 degrees C (I'd have to look it up again to get the precise temp, but it isn't even close to the freezing point of water) around much of the polar caps.

Now, if the air were to warm up (but remain below the freezing point), it could hold more moisture (higher saturation point) which could fall as additional snow. Rather then melting, they could well expand a bit...

Counter-balancing this though. Even as I'm looking at temps above 100 degrees down here in NM (before the official start of summer), my parents living up in Maine have been telling me that the weather has been crappy and cold there. My father was telling me "but we're getting one day of sun, and it might warm up a bit..." :D

LOL saz :up:

Grandmaster said:
On the topic of weird weather...we actually had a Tornado warning here in Calgary last week :s
Same here on the east coast in New Brunswick. It's been confirmed that at least 1 small tornado touched down and did some damage about 50 mins west of where I live. First time I've ever seen a tornado warning for here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back