Sober.P

Jewelzz

OSNN Godlike Veteran
:eek:

I have it. My ISP just called me to let me know they disabled my account until my PC is clean :cry:

Get excuse to leave work early ... I have to format my PC :p

Weeeeee, back to work now

Above link has been hit or miss lately so here is another for Stinger just in case.

Thanks for the links but it's just easier to format. Gotta get it done so my ISP will activate me again.

45 mins to go then I'm on my way home to take care of it :)

What pisses me off is, AVG didn't catch it :mad: Time to look for another AV :rolleyes:

Yup, it's becoming more common for ISP's to simply disable accounts when viruses or worms are apparent.

Seems odd that they disable your account entirely though (I understand the obvious safety issues) surely it would make more sense to filter infected ports and/or data yet still allow the loading of basic web-content to allow download of a fix/patch/update/tool to rid yourself of the virus.

We have a similar policy in university housing.

1) You had to register online at the beginning of the year - no internet access until the system verifies that you have an up-to-date antivirus app installed.
2) If a virus/worm is detected on your machine at any time, you immediately get moved over to a separate subnet so that the infection doesn't spread across the entire network. The only site you can then access is the university's computing center where you can download AV software and/or updated definitions. You get back on the network only after your machine is completely cleaned out.

Kick-ass policy. Worked exceptionally well during all those worm breakouts last year. :)

P.S. Jewelzz, I suggest going with NOD32 or Kaspersky if you're looking for a new AV.

Wow, that is a great policy, NetRyder. I worked for the student network at my university two years ago and while we had a nice system, it wasn't that secure and automated. All I know is that the Blaster worm kicked our butts for the first few weeks. :s

Jewelzz, do you have a disk image or something that makes formatting easier?

Jewelzz said:
Thanks for the links but it's just easier to format. Gotta get it done so my ISP will activate me again.

45 mins to go then I'm on my way home to take care of it :)

What pisses me off is, AVG didn't catch it :mad: Time to look for another AV :rolleyes:

I got 45 copies in my PERSONAL e-mail account. Not my junk one.

I DL'ed it and it infected my PC here at work, (AVG) then I updated the def's and it cleaned it out. Then I DL'ed it on the server (My folder, mine ONLY) and NAV didn't catch it till I updated it.

muzikool said:
Wow, that is a great policy, NetRyder. I worked for the student network at my university two years ago and while we had a nice system, it wasn't that secure and automated. All I know is that the Blaster worm kicked our butts for the first few weeks. :s
Yeah, it was really well done. :)
I live off-campus now, but I've heard that they have started forcing people to install a network-managed version of Sophos before getting on the network now. I have mixed feelings towards that...I would personally prefer to have my own AV of choice installed. But then again, I see why they would do something like that - they can verify that you do have something installed at the beginning of the year. What they can't do is make sure everyone is keeping their definitions up to date all the time. With this new system, updates are sent out over the network to every machine that has Sophos installed, so everyone is always up-to-date.

Jewelzz, do you have a disk image or something that makes formatting easier?
Yeah, that's always a great time-saver. :)

Weeeeeeee, I'm clean :p

Stopped by Fry's on the way home looking for an AV and firewall ... slim pickins there :( Besides NAV and McAfee about the only thing they had was PC-cillin soooo, that's what I got. Damn!!! I acutally paid for an AV :p

I didn't have an image mainly because I don't have software to make an image. Would be quite handy now as my PC is clean with no crap on it

Thanks for the suggestions and replies guys

Oh and SPeedY_B ... I guess it's their policy to disable an account the sending spam. I knew it was happening the other day and did nothing so it's my fault. Didn't do any harm so no biggie. It's nice to know my ISP is actually watching these things and watching out for all their customers :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back