So them new X2900's :)

Not sure if EP2 is, but will have to check - Valve and ATI are back together again.

Watched the TF2 Heavy video early, animation was stunning - seriously gives animated movies a run for their money and this was in real time -- next gen voice animation stuff etc.

Apparently the set released last night is pretty good., but I like the presentation and the handling of the ati drivers alot more, its a shame they haven't released something that seemed more powerful, but lets see what happens with the directx10 stuff (I am sure stuff will use that eventually..

... oh yeah Crysis.)

Will be in interesting to see what the NVIDIA endorsed UT2K3 ~(with its 8 core support :eek:) will do!

Waiting to build a new system as my old one is now two years old, but it has to be worthwhile.

It has millions more transistors, what more could you possibly want m8 :rolleyes:

I lost faith in nvidia with its inability to develop decent drivers for vista.

Now it the ati card is as good as a GTS now, given driver improvements over time it will get better. I will wait and see over the next few generations and see how they get on.

The Vista drivers are solid for Nvidia at the moment, and getting better by leaps and bounds each release.

I guess the only real benchmark left for both series of cards is true DX10 gameplay comparison. I hope the ATI card does better there, we all need the competition in the marketplace to push both manufacturers. We would not be were we are if was not for the rivalry.

Ati doesn't ALWAYS release an XTX.
Also, the power ratings you are talking about are at idle.

Page 26 of the review shows a table with 8800 and 2900 single and sli. There are no load, boot, and 3dmark power consumptions shown. The 2900 is a little les pwoer hungry during the benchmarks which are stressing the cards.

They dropped a hint in the article they will be investigating this anomaly further. The 2900 should be drawing twice the power of the 8800 during a benchmark, not about the same.

They might have gotten a golden sample on the 2900, or the 8800 they got is a pig, or the 8800 really draws twice what it is supposed to. From the numbers it looks like the 8800 draws a lot more than it is supposed to since adding the cards in adds 200W to the total system draw for single card 8800 and 2900.

Last edited:
The 2900 is pulling more power than the g80 from that table, which is one of the weirder ones I have seen so far.

I have no idea why the reviewer is saying that the g80 is pulling more power, especially when you average things out.

"The GeForce 8800 GTS 640 MB is $50 cheaper, performs better, and draws a lot less power than the 2900 XT."

Looks like all that waiting did not pay off

If anyone wants to contribute a 8800GTX I will compare the two with graph charts in reatime from a UPS I will "borrow" from work.

I believe I sold my tower for a measley sum and with a bonus and some cleaver savings on my part a new AMD and HD2900XT could be mine in the next month. :D

:)

I haven't had respect for Kyle since he was found sucking on Nvidia's weiner over the whole nv30 fiasco.

I do have to say that I have noticed the whole nvidia favor over there but I still love their reviews. The in-game reviews are the best in the business and show real world performance.

They spin everything in nvidia's favor but if you look at them with unbiased eyes they are the best reviews and benches out.

(I mean just read their review of the 8600 series, everyone else panned them for not being the jump that the 6600 and 7600 were but HardOcp gave it a great review, that's when I knew it was too obvious)

It's not the nvidia favor, it's the whole issue with credibility.

Not only did he live in denial for MONTHS after that fiasco, he has proceeded to flip-flop all over the place afterwards, from one extreme to the next.

It's like Bush coming out and pretending to be Gandhi, just doesn't fly, if you know what I mean.

HardOCP is by far the preachiest site on the internet and they simply don't have the credibility to do that.

Ok, I'm officially very impressed with this thing :)

It can maintain >60fps running 1600x1200 8X AA http://www.trackmania.org/fr-041_debris.zip :D

I set it to 1600x1200, 8x multisampling, Texture quality: Ultra (I'm guessing this is 16XAF could be wrong there)

The 1950xtx could not. I can't speak for the 8800GTS/GTX as I don't have one. I'm sure owners of cards could verify the ability to or to not as needed.

If I turn off vsync the poor LCD can't keep up and I get 4 or 5 tearing bands evident :D.

Looks like all that waiting did not pay off

Shamus.... i think the main card that people were waiting for was the X2900XTX.... which... apparently hasn't been released for some odd reason or another. And at the rate the prices are for the X2900XT, i wouldn't imagine the XTX being cheaper than the 8800GTX.

Ok, I'm officially very impressed with this thing :)

It can maintain >60fps running 1600x1200 8X AA http://www.trackmania.org/fr-041_debris.zip :D

I set it to 1600x1200, 8x multisampling, Texture quality: Ultra (I'm guessing this is 16XAF could be wrong there)

The 1950xtx could not. I can't speak for the 8800GTS/GTX as I don't have one. I'm sure owners of cards could verify the ability to or to not as needed.

If I turn off vsync the poor LCD can't keep up and I get 4 or 5 tearing bands evident :D.

1920x1200, 8xAA and Ultra I get 25 - 50 fps. Setting texture quality to ultra just slows it down. If you read the readme it says
* ultra: default texture size, no texture compression. pick this if your
system is too fast and you want to burn fillrate and bandwidth for
a barely visible improvement.

Nice. I am sooo tempted to get one, but I'll wait for the folding client and news of the updated product.

Can I just make it clear that the title should be:

"So those new X2900's :)"

Hehe only joking.

Well seems like there is good news on the folding front.

HD 2900XT FAH Summary:

The shipping client requires an update to run. The core is currently running, but having issues with the full client. Performance-wise, the 2900XT is 2.2X faster than R580 for the force calculation, but the surrounding kernels and the interaction with the CPU currently limit the speed up to 45% faster for the full client. We are working to improve speed and get more cores supported for the next release. Power wise, it depends on board temp, but we see 160-180W when folding, roughly double R580. I haven't tested on the 2600/2400 yet, but it sh, and should work. The 2600 is *very* power efficient, and the 2400 in some configs doesn't even have a fan (!).

We are currently making lots of updates to the GPU client, including support for more cores and WUs (although debugging is taking longer than expected). When we get through this next push, we will release a new client which will add official support the newer chips.

I should also mention the 160-180W is for just the board load. You still need part of a CPU to feed the beast...

Anyone in the market for a cheap 1950 pci-e card :)

It's just occured to me that its only cost ~£1200 to get a PC than can play NWN2 at 1600x1200 at a playable frame rate at medium detail...

Hmm, good point. Or you could get a game console for $300 to do the same thing...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back