So them new X2900's :)

If only Nvidia knew how to develop drivers.... I'd have an 8800 right now. I'll stick with my X1900 until they come out with decent drivers (for Vista).

The drivers for vista right now are pretty solid, even more so the ones that got leaked today (released tomorrow I believe). Now that DX10 benchmarks are starting to hit and the race is beginning I think that driver development in both camps is going to kick into high F'in gear.

Are ATI releasing an XTX version of this card? If so I'll wait, otherwise I'll stump up for the 2900XT :)

Edit: Overclockers.co.uk have most of the available UK stock available now :)

Right to answer my own question anandtech is stating that the XT is the highest part for the R600 chips so I'm going ahead and ordering one. With crossfire easier to do now I can pick up an extra one later on to get a bit more out of things :)

Edit: Ordered! :D

Sub Total: £234.99
Shipping: £8.00
Total Vat: £42.52
Total inc Vat: £285.51

Arrives wednesday!

Life is getting good. :)

The 8800 GTX hasn't budged but the 8800 GTS 640 is down 10% ($329 on the egg) and the GTS 320 is down 5% ($285). That makes it worth going the full 640MB board.

Going to be interesting to see how long the 8800 GTX holds at $529 with the X2900 XT selling at $429.

Lord - ATI always releases an XTX. Guaranteed with the price of the XT where it is at $100 less than the 8800 GTX. Probably working on yields and thermal issues.

Speaking of thermal Tom's had an interesting teaser at the end of their 2900 review. They are looking at the 2900 power usage. It appears to be no more than the 8800 GTX (115W) on their preliminary tests. So the 215W power point for the 2800 XT seems off.

Last edited:
I need more processor power tu support such a card. Even at 3.0Ghz I am tapped out.

Ati doesn't ALWAYS release an XTX.

Also, the power ratings you are talking about are at idle.

On load, the 2900 is higher than any thing else on the market right now. You can't magically hide the power draw of 700 million transistors, or the heat.

Nvidia has no reason to dramatically reduce their prices unless they start losing some benches or ati really drops the price.

Right to answer my own question anandtech is stating that the XT is the highest part for the R600 chips so I'm going ahead and ordering one. With crossfire easier to do now I can pick up an extra one later on to get a bit more out of things :)

Edit: Ordered! :D

Sub Total: £234.99
Shipping: £8.00
Total Vat: £42.52
Total inc Vat: £285.51

Arrives wednesday!

So what made you buy one? I'm curious since its obvious that its an inferior product in every way. :suprised: Are you hoping on driver updates to mend its problems?

hmmm...
Must check Tom's hardware then to see the ratings and all. Well let's see what happenes in the future. But I was just thinking of something... if I really wanted to Crossfire, there'd be no way with these video cards until I up my Power Supply to probably a 800W to 1000W from the sounds of it. Sounds like one of these will be my limit as long as room is left on the power.

Another thing is since people are saying the fan is noisy, it sounds like it should be a bit expected. But at the same time, I wonder how noisy is it. I mean my computer doesn't make any noise as of right now and runs at 40 C constant.

So what made you buy one? I'm curious since its obvious that its an inferior product in every way. :suprised: Are you hoping on driver updates to mend its problems?

I lost faith in nvidia with its inability to develop decent drivers for vista.

Now it the ati card is as good as a GTS now, given driver improvements over time it will get better. I will wait and see over the next few generations and see how they get on.

If only Nvidia knew how to develop drivers.... I'd have an 8800 right now. I'll stick with my X1900 until they come out with decent drivers (for Vista).

Apparently the set released last night is pretty good., but I like the presentation and the handling of the ati drivers alot more, its a shame they haven't released something that seemed more powerful, but lets see what happens with the directx10 stuff (I am sure stuff will use that eventually..

... oh yeah Crysis.)

Will be in interesting to see what the NVIDIA endorsed UT2K3 ~(with its 8 core support :eek:) will do!

Waiting to build a new system as my old one is now two years old, but it has to be worthwhile.

Well I read Tom's Hardware (AND MAN THAT WAS A READING!!!). So After reading it, I admit I was kind of disappointed by the benching, but at the same time, reading about its features it almost doesn't sound surprising. I think that its fps is just sucky because of nothing utilising it yet unless that is what Electronic said, Crysis to fully power it.
Oh and looking at it even further... I was DEFINATLY reassured my system wouldn't be handling a CF setup with that card. The top off Wattage showed me true that I was looking at a possibly 70+ Watts overload choke if I CF'ed. So one would have to do so I can have the 100+ Watts to hold.

Apparently the set released last night is pretty good., but I like the presentation and the handling of the ati drivers alot more, its a shame they haven't released something that seemed more powerful, but lets see what happens with the directx10 stuff (I am sure stuff will use that eventually..

Where are these said miracle drivers? I've been waiting for some decent NVIDIA drivers for months now!

Didn't ATI/AMD drop the "X" from the card names this time around, e.g. 2900 XT?

Are they signed? Do you know if there'll be a final release any time soon. I've only used beta drivers once before and it ended badly - shall I give these ones a go?

I read a interesting read on the architecture of the new chip, some of the issues they had with it and what it is supposed to do.

Basicly, not break all sorts of benchmarks, but provide top quality graphics at playable frame rates and support for more software that hasn't happened yet. But should.

They had problems with the MSAA unit so they bypassed it and took another approach, using software inside the GPU to handle the AA, thus you get the "tent" or area AA that is OK, but when compared to the effects from the G80 looks slightly subpar on some areas and games.

A few upsides is the better textures, skinning, and other tricks. Larger cache to make use of larger textures in DX10 so that things appear more lifelike, better skinning through larger cache, again allowing more realisim.

But the proof so to speak will be in the pudding. Mebey the next HL update will be DX10, and THAT will be a good reason to update.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back