So ... Sazar says he's at a bar ...

AllWeatherGal

Not Just for Fair Weather
Political Access
and on some mobile device, which Perris blows outta the water.

But it opens the door for a question (like I need the invite?).

Anyway, I was out last night playing pool and the guy was good company, but kept pulling out his phone to text/reply.

I said "Why don't you just invite him/her to join us?"
He asked "Is this rude?"
I squinched my eyes and pressed thumb and forefinger together "A teeny bit."

Good guy, fun time ... but, do you guys think that it's generally *not* rude? I kind of assume that it is, and while I'm okay reminding teenagers to put the crackberry away during dinner (for example), it felt weird to comment to an adult.

That's the question: would you need to be told it's rude?

Detail: It was his girlfriend who was irritated that he was out with someone-he-just-met instead of home watching TV while she was out with her friends. After he stopped texting, she phoned. I "get" it. But ... is this what I can expect out there in the world?

But it opens the door for a question (like I need the invite?).

Anyway, I was out last night playing pool and the guy was good company, but kept pulling out his phone to text/reply.

I said "Why don't you just invite him/her to join us?"
He asked "Is this rude?"
I squinched my eyes and pressed thumb and forefinger together "A teeny bit."

Good guy, fun time ... but, do you guys think that it's generally *not* rude? I kind of assume that it is, and while I'm okay reminding teenagers to put the crackberry away during dinner (for example), it felt weird to comment to an adult.

That's the question: would you need to be told it's rude?

Detail: It was his girlfriend who was irritated that he was out with someone-he-just-met instead of home watching TV while she was out with her friends. After he stopped texting, she phoned. I "get" it. But ... is this what I can expect out there in the world?

forget all that

I think you should fly to new york and hook up with this perris dude

People who do that really do annoy me, it's very ignorant if you ask me. I've noticed that certain people I work with as soon as they leave the building even in the middle of a conversation out comes the phone and they disappear into another world where the rest of us don't exist and it's only them and their texting :speechless:

mm... i think cell phones turn ppl into... well, stupid ppl :p

Was at Flipnotics @ the triangle last night :)

3 people performed, 2 in tandem for a 4 hour set. Didn't know 2 of the people so they set me up with their Myspace music profiles on my laptop. I usually have OSNN open and it takes moments to post comments :cool:

Perris can check my IP's for my postings ;) Soon as the music started, the notebook went back to my car :cool:

Sure...

Anyway, being the business man that I am I get a lot of client emails during the week (even during the evening hours). Some of which require responses. However, if I am out with someone I just met I would ignore them. But, once she got used to it, she would understand.

If you are out with someone, be it first time or long time, it is rude to be texting, checking your e-mail or talking on a mobile phone constantly. Unless it is that you are a Doctor, Cop, Fireman (person) that is usually on call 24/7. I don't care if you are a business person, if you are on a date or out on your time trying to have fun it's your time and the phone is a "ball 'n chain". If a client calls you after hours they should know that it's AFTER HOURS. And if it's a weekend and they call you then they are stupid and need to get a life. And the person that is out on the date or whatever the case may be, they really have no reason nor business being out because they are married to their phone, PDA, notebook/laptop. Are you out on a date with your phone or with a person? And no one gets use to being ignored over a phone. You might think that but they really would like to take the phone and do bodily harm with it.

To an extreme that its starting to become a annoyance, then Yes I think its rude to those around you. If you are out with friends or on a date or whatever and its one or two text messages, then I think thats fine. A text message is far less intrusive than an actual phone call. If someone wants to ask you a question, but does not want to bother you or intrude, a text message is perfect. You can read it and respond to it at your convenience a leisure. Thats not to say sitting there and having a small conversation is right though, one or two text's each way max. Although, it really depends on the situation and the people/person you are with.

But the question stemmed from Sazar was at a live music bar/club... with his notebook! Why go out to a venue like that with your laptop? And then what AllWeatherGal puts forth. The thing is that all these communication devices has made it so people can stay connected far too much in the most unreasonable circumstances. Plus, some people just can't put down their devices.

Last edited:
I got there at 6, the music started @ 8, it was not an outdoor venue, it was indoors and I knew a few people playing ;)

My work notebook is always with me if I am driving somewhere :) and I find it quite odd that so many people have an issue with this.

I typically get there early and get some work in and since the rest of the people, including my date didn't get there till much later, I naturally got on to check my stuff :D

It's setup for free wifi and they have great quiche's.

If you are out with someone, be it first time or long time, it is rude to be texting, checking your e-mail or talking on a mobile phone constantly. Unless it is that you are a Doctor, Cop, Fireman (person) that is usually on call 24/7. I don't care if you are a business person, if you are on a date or out on your time trying to have fun it's your time and the phone is a "ball 'n chain". If a client calls you after hours they should know that it's AFTER HOURS. And if it's a weekend and they call you then they are stupid and need to get a life. And the person that is out on the date or whatever the case may be, they really have no reason nor business being out because they are married to their phone, PDA, notebook/laptop. Are you out on a date with your phone or with a person? And no one gets use to being ignored over a phone. You might think that but they really would like to take the phone and do bodily harm with it.
In Matt's defense though I have to side with him. Not being married to the device is right, but in a service like he's in if his response time isn't what is expected/needed based on the situation, the possibility exists his clients could go elsewhere.

in Sazar's "defense" ... I just picked his post as an opening. I sure do understand and got a big chuckle out of his deal. I'm a noob (what IS that??) and he's a osnn godlet. He needs to show off. ;)

I also understand Matt's perspective, but would not enjoy a social relationship that took back seat to constant texts, even from Important Clients. There HAS to be a boundary.

As I said, I really understood the dynamic of this guy's situation ... his GF said she was cool with him hanging out with another woman, since she was out with some of her guy friends (and he was not included/invited), but when it actually happened, it turned out she didn't like it and wanted to be sure that he didn't forget about her. To an extreme. And he felt he needed to provide that reassurance. Constantly.

I was just surprised that he didn't realize (?) that it might be considered rude and thank y'all for your thoughts on the matter.

As Derek said, response time is very important in our industry. It has a lot to do with the relationship that I have built with my clients. I totally agree with AWG and I would be respectful of the new relationship (especially if I wanted it to continue).

With that said, sadly enough this is one reason I am not dating at this time, because my business is very demanding at times and I think dating would get in the way. We all have our goals.

Next time he starts playing around with his phone ignore him for a few moments. But don't overtly tell him it's rude.

He'll get the message eventually :devious:

---

Slightly off topic: I feel like tasering people on the train that speak so loudly on their phones that you can hear them at the other end of the train. :mad:

Next time he starts playing around with his phone ignore him for a few moments. But don't overtly tell him it's rude.

He'll get the message eventually :devious:

He asked.

If it had been an actual date with romantic aspirations, I would just have cut it short after the third or fourth time. I don't have enough time to wait around for "eventually"!

---
Slightly off topic: I feel like tasering people on the train that speak so loudly on their phones that you can hear them at the other end of the train. :mad:

Glare at them, eventually they'll get the message :devious::devious:

bahhahhhaaaaa

Seriously, I feel the same way about the folks in line at the bank, grocery store ... Sometimes I offer suggestions based on their end of the conversation. That's about as good as a taser!

With that said, sadly enough this is one reason I am not dating at this time, because my business is very demanding at times and I think dating would get in the way. We all have our goals.

Feels better than saying "I'm too much of a nice guy", "there are no nice girls", "I'm too ugly", or "I don't have enough money".

When you're ready, you'll obviously be quite the catch :)

Are you flirting with me? =]

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back