So I've been out-manuevered...

GunBlade008

OSNN Junior Addict
I put a password protection on the family computer in an effort to help my brother's failing grades, since he doesn't use the computer for any other use than WOW. One day, my dad said he needed to use the computer to do homework, so I typed in the password and let him have his time on the computer. In that time however, he made his own account, and somehow deleted my password-protected one :suprised: How did he do that?! And, how should I take proper precautions to prevent something like this from happening again?

Kick him off the computer.
OR, the best way to do it is to make him his own account.
And make it limited, he will still be able to change his password though, even if he doesnt know it.
I would recommend blocking WoW.
Un-install it, then make it so he cant install programs (Limited accounts cant)

On XP pro you can do this through group policy so this is for if this is XP Home edition.

Create an account for him or if he already has one then go to the next step.

start > run > control userpasswords2

Highlight his account > properties > group membership tab > select restricted user for his account.

Attachments

• ua.jpg
    ua.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 76
Does that also prevent him from using my account and/or changing my settings as he did before?

limited accounts can't change the rights of others.

Does that also prevent him from using my account and/or changing my settings as he did before?
Yes, it will.
He will only slightly be able to change HIS settings, such as icon, maybe.
This should solve your problem

Warning: There are still tools he can get on CD to remove all passwords and take over again. It depends on how smart he is or if he has any talented friends to help him.

Could always set the HDD to boot first and put a password on the BIOS (or even to bootup if you want to take it to that extreme).

Yeah, what Michael said. Set the Bios to boot from HD only and then password the bios.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back