So how do you add a network printer, w/o knowing where it is?

Punkrulz

Somewhat eXPerienced
Ok guys,

So how are you supposed to add a network printer without actually knowing where on the network [a big network] it is? I work for Circuit City, and in our general office there is a printer that the managers use. The problem with the printer is that it was fickle and it just would print whenever it felt like it, sometimes it worked right, sometimes it didn't work at all.

So I was pretty much assigned the task of figuring out what the problem was with the printer. Well, before I looked at how the printer was hooked up [assuming it was locally] I removed the printer from the printers & faxes applet, and now basically I am looking on our huge network and don't see anywhere where the printer could be.

Circuit City had a few different ways of organizing everything on the network, however it looks like they've spread between about 15 different ways between the stores of organizing that information... and I've seen nothing for our store. Our General Manager isn't in today, so I'm not able to ask him to fix it [if he knows how to that is] and we really don't have a number to call on how to get that information. No idea where that information is stored, if we have it.

Yeah, I know this is pretty lame, but if you worked for Circuit City you'd understand... any idea on how I can determine what the printer is/was on the network, or what I may have had attached on the network in the past?

How many routers/switches are used in the network?

Looking at my workplace, we have about 8 network printers scattered around the store and for each different section of the store there is one printer allocated to a number of computers.
Although none of the staff in the store have access to the network configurations, I do know that the technician has set a specific IP for each printer and that the nearest computers to each printer will print from that particular printer.

Not sure if you are working for a big company or not, but you should have a telephone number for the Help Desk who may be able to configure the IP settings for you or guide you on what to do.

Hehe, you're from the UK so I understand. :) Circuit City is a huge electronics store chain throughout the United States. The problem is that the printer was basically setup that everytime you printed, it would go all the way through corporate, and then back down again to the printer right next to the computer. I don't see how this was feasible, because not only would the printer really not work much, only when it wanted to... but the fact that no one from any other store would ever print from that printer, the only computer that would print to that printer was the computer that was setup directly next to the printer that the managers used.

The other thing that was bad is that it looks like Circuit City used several different methods of differentiating between the stores equipment on the network. Some of the equipment is labeled by store numbers, other equipment is labeled by the host number of the store, some is labeled by their actual physical location of the store, etc... and none were labeled for the printer that was on the network for the one I wanted lol, there were about 20 HP Laserjet 1200 Series printers.

Punkrulz said:
Hehe, you're from the UK so I understand. :) Circuit City is a huge electronics store chain throughout the United States. The problem is that the printer was basically setup that everytime you printed, it would go all the way through corporate, and then back down again to the printer right next to the computer. I don't see how this was feasible, because not only would the printer really not work much, only when it wanted to... but the fact that no one from any other store would ever print from that printer, the only computer that would print to that printer was the computer that was setup directly next to the printer that the managers used.

The other thing that was bad is that it looks like Circuit City used several different methods of differentiating between the stores equipment on the network. Some of the equipment is labeled by store numbers, other equipment is labeled by the host number of the store, some is labeled by their actual physical location of the store, etc... and none were labeled for the printer that was on the network for the one I wanted lol, there were about 20 HP Laserjet 1200 Series printers.
This may help
Many assumptions are being made here, but:
1. This is a networked printer.
2. It has a fixed IP Address
3. You can print out the IP Address from the printers config
4. You know how to create TCP\IP Printer Port

You could always print directly to the IP Address, bypassing any printer queues and not having to go to the corporate servers. Even if the address range (of the printer) is on a different subnet or class than the PC's, your router will allow you to route locally.

As I'm on the other side of the globe I have no idea how "Circuit City" has configured their networks etc etc or even if your using IPX instead of TCP, but I'd be surprised if it was token ring! Ah thought I'd throw that in.

pretty much what sharob said, print out the config page, with new hp printers that have little screens scroll the to config part then enter, go to print config, here you'll see two things the IP address and the printer name usually looking like this "Ngt3453" thats just an example, but it usually starts with an N.

Then go to the persons machine your using and add a network printer, use the printer name NOT the ip address, so if for whatever reason the IP address changed the client can find the printer by the printer name. hope this all makes sense. if you told use the exact printer name we may be able to help more.

Thanks

after saying all that thought i do sympathise with you, i had a kyocera printer that just stopped printing whenever it felt like it for 2 yrs, all i could do was reinstall it.

the printer was basically setup that everytime you printed, it would go all the way through corporate, and then back down again to the printer right next to the computer. I don't see how this was feasible, because not only would the printer really not work much, only when it wanted to... but the fact that no one from any other store would ever print from that printer
Sounds to make like the printer is configured on the corporate server. You could locate the printer by using the UNC path of the corporate server (i.e. \\SERVERNAME ) in the RUN box. good luck

In the end how do you want the printer to be configured?

To still use the print server at the head office or a local printer?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back