so bonds is gonna be a yankee next year

Jeter and A-rod are and anyone else who can move as much merchandise as these guys. They don't only produce on the field, they are marketing bonanza's and generate oodles of money for the club in many different ways. That is the net-net you have to look at when determining salaries. It is definitely ridiculous, but they generate more than they earn.

I think A-ROD is worth it and Saz is right, it comes down to marketing. Especially because the Yankees will be in a new stadium in 2009 - they could really use that revenue.

Time will tell - don't go Alex!!

I'd be happy with a 300K salary.

I'd be happy with some cookies and no mortgage payments for the rest of my life :D

Tax-free cookies?

:eek:

I say we all pool our resources and live together some place on a beach and setup a crazy IT infrastructure that allows us to create friggin sharks with friggin laser beams.

And on topic, yankees suck GO SOX !!!

Tax-free cookies?

:eek:

I say we all pool our resources and live together some place on a beach and setup a crazy IT infrastructure that allows us to create friggin sharks with friggin laser beams.

Can we have a chimp work with us and call CDW from an island?

Isn't your wife a Red Sox fan? Am I going to have to invite her to this place to see what you have been wasting your time doing instead of fixing the plumbing sir?

LOL - how did you know we were having plumbing issues? :eek:

I heard that's why you can't have kids.

LOL - how did you know we were having plumbing issues? :eek:

You just bought a fixer-upper. I have yet to see a fixer-upper WITHOUT plumbing issues.

Oh, and I also have that ESPn.

Btw, I hear Matt has cookies that will clean your plumbing. And your homes plumbing too. :eek:

Tax-free cookies?

we must repair the circle of life which has been fractured since the sox beat the yankees

if you notice since that time we have had catastrophy after catastrophy, world unrest, events where people disapear into nowhere, (the precurser to the rapsody and armageddon)

if you value planet earth and all that is good, like or dislike the yankees, you must work to repair the circle of life

yankees must beat sox else all that is left of your world is lost to the underworld

sorry

Jeter and A-rod are and anyone else who can move as much merchandise as these guys. They don't only produce on the field, they are marketing bonanza's and generate oodles of money for the club in many different ways. That is the net-net you have to look at when determining salaries. It is definitely ridiculous, but they generate more than they earn.
anyone who earns more then they get paid are worth it, the bussines loses money if they don't pay for those assets, so it doesn't cost that bussiness that money, it costs them that money if they don't invest

simple economics

don't forget, if the players didn't get the money then it all goes to one man...I do, the owner, 't think anyone wants that to happen but I guess some people think the owners are more inpotant then the players

these are entertainers and they are worth every penny the owners will pay, some are worth far more then the ownsers pay, obviously some do not bring return on the investment and that was a bad deal that the owner brokered for himself

in addition, salary has NOTHING to do with ticket price...absolutely nothing

if salary had anything to do with ticket price a foorball game would cost less then a baseball game and nike sneakers would cost about ten bucks

the price of most products will be determined only by what people will pay, not what that product costs the company, when the publiic won't pay a fair profit that item is no longer prodiced until demand brings the value to the point of profitability

Last edited:
He wasn't kicked off the team, nor has he been sidelined after his stupid interview.

the analogy doesn't hold saz, steinbrenner bought giambi before the chemical abuse issues arose, steinbrenner knows the drug abuse issues associated with bonds way ahead of time

once steinbrenner found out about giambi's issues they couldn't "kick giambi off the team", there is a contract which they could have challenged but that would have been worse pr then acknowledging the issues which is what he did

in addition, there is already an investment and there was positive return over trading or canning him

bonds is a differant situation, his drug abuse issues are known before the deal is made, in addition, bonds is hated among baseball fans, among parents who tell their kids "there is a cheater", hated among players and hated among the press.

saz said:
Plus, his production plummetted. Bonds STILL produces.

bonds produces squat

the yankees need him to produce post season, they already get to the playoffs without him and everyone knows in post season he is a NEGATIVE factor

let's forget about post season for a while though becasue there are other things to consider besides post season, even if the yankees did need him to get to the playoffs (which they clearly don't)

his talent value is undermined by his marketing value and there will probably be negative return on investment even IF he helps the team...he is booed everywhere he plays but home

I sincerely mean "if" he helped the yankees...they get into the post season without bonds, have done it for thirteen seasons straight

the issues concerning bonds might create an unplayable working condition for the other players and his pesence might prevent the yankees from doing what they do every year without him, which is get to post season

now, if we knew or expected bonds to help once they git post season then it might be worth the risk but that is not the case, we know from his past performance that when crunch time comes in the playoffs bonds tightens up...he hits under 200, his on base % is anemic, he has no run production, and to call his presence a non factor would be kind...another "a rod" the yankees cannot afford taking a playoff spot on the team ..at least "a rod" gets on base enogh to make up for non hitting... bonds?...not so much

so back to the negative marketing investment, even if that weren't the case he is a negative performance investment for the only thing the yankees need from him

let's even get past his anemic playoff stats...we have no idea how he affects the team if he's on it pre playoffs;

if he pulls his "I play for bonds" crap he's famous for, is own "private space" and gives the press the hard time he's famous for then they yankees won't get post season because of him.

bonds could possilbe help the mets or the cubs who have trouble gettng to the playoffs but he doesn't help the yankees

bonds is an entirely differant situation then giambi so you really can't bring up giambi when wondering if steinbrenner sighs him

I don't know what will or won't happen, though bonds will help any team who are close to getting into the playoffs contend if all you consider are performance numbers but he will hurt a team if his performance stats are at the expense of other team members numbers and if you consider the impact it has on the fans

that is a very important factor as well, the yankees draw at home for themselves and they draw away for other teams, they get part of that revenue...they have fans in all stadiums, they have fans around the entire planet

that fan base will shrink if they sign bonds, yes it will gain some fans but the fans they loose will far outweight the fans they gain

to me it's a no brainer, it hurts the yankees to sign bonds, it hurts so much, bonds could offer his contract for free to the yankees and it would be a negative investment

but I am not steinbrenner and he might have a differant opinion on the affect of bonds

in any event, winning the series is not the real consideration, it's the marketing of the team that is primary consideration, marketing goes up when you win the series so it USUALLY goes hand in hand, but marketing goes down even IF you win the series and the fans think you cheated

whether or not you cheated is not as important as if the fans think you cheated, once the fans think you cheated you loose base

and as you say saz, all their base are belong to profit

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back