smtp server

cpugeniusmv

Computer Genius
Ok, here's what I would like to do:

I have a program called MrPostman which acts as a pop3 server for my webmail accounts, however...i am unable to send mail with this setup.

I assume I need a local smtp server to send mail directly, I noticed that there is one available with IIS (which i have) but i don't know how to configure it. If anyone could help me along either the IIS route or with another program, I would be greatly appreciative.

cpugeniusmv

You can use your ISP's SMTP server to send mail. You don't need to have IIS installed. :)

that's actually the first thing i tried! and guess what!

it didn't work ;-)

EDIT:

well, i decided to try that again just to make sure my computer wasn't playing tricks on me, and it does connect to the server, and appears to send the mail...but i sent a message to myself and i haven't yet received it. :confused:

well, i guess there is a little delay...i have now received 2 of the four test messages i sent...i guess i'll get the others eventually.

thanks!

EDIT:

got 'em all! :happy: :happy: :happy:

Can't beat having your own SMTP :) and there is a delay, because the data leaves your computer, goes through your isp servers, then works out where its going from there.

Something I will advise that you do, is to only allow connections to the server from 127.0.0.1 and possibly change the port (25 by default) that it operates on, this should help stop people abusing the server.

Yeah, if i were setting up my own smtp, it would have to be on a port other than 25 anyway, my proxy smtp server is set up on 25 and it only accepts connections from the local network. i tried setting up iis smtp on port 26, and it connected to the server, but couldn't figure out (which i'm usually pretty good at) how to configure it to do what i wanted it to do.

any help on doing that would be appreciated :happy:

but for now, i'm content with my isp's smtp server :blink:

If i remember right (this is from memory, i rarely do this, so bear with me :p)
Once installed IIS' settings are located in Control panel > administritive tools
pop that open, then stop the web server (unless you want that running) Right click on the SMTP server in the tree on the left, then click properties.
Now this is the part im not 100% about .. somewhere there are relat and authentication options, this is where you can enable relay (the ability to send mail from any address) and disallow connections from the outside.

If thats not much help, i'll install my server again later so i can give more detail .. :)

yeah, i already knew all the stuff you said....except the part you aren't 100% sure of LOL...

but i'll look at it later and tell you how it comes out :blink:

Good call.
icon10.gif

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back