Smoothwall questions

canadian_divx

Canadian_divx
ok i am in the process of making a smoothwall pc and i would lik to know, i have linksys Bf series of routers (2 of them in series) they have there so called firewall, how can i disable this firewall so it does not conflict? also does anyone here know a really dumbed down guid to install and setup smooth wall becase i have herd that it is mind boggeling.

Smoothwall is a piece of cake, it really is.

All managed via a web interface. Once its installed (which is also very easy) all you need to do access the web panel and off you go.

You dont need to disable the firewall on the router if you dont want to. The BFxxxx routers only run NAT so you can keep it enabled, its a extra layer of protection if you like.

However since you may want to disable it (once your happy with the smoothwall setup) access the routers web panel and on the advanced tab disable Block WAN Request.

ok cool thanks man. now one other thing. do u use smoothwall and if so what one should i use 1.0 or 2.0?

I don't use it currently, but have done.

I would go with 2.0 Beta 5 but you will need to update as new builds come out.

If you want to install something, set it up and forget about it then get 1.0.

Whichever you go for make sure you apply the patches.

I thought a smoothwall was a router, and would therefore replace the BEFSR41 device. Or is the smoothwall for a different internet line or site?

JJB

You would switch the BEFSR41 from Gateway mode into router mode then setup smoothwall as the gateway router. The BEFSR41 will then function happily as a switch.

ok i finally got the box set up i think but i NEED HELP!!!! can someone who knows about smooth wall help me?????

or replace the box name with the IP Address. Also make sure that the LAN and WAN cables are plugged into the correct cards. When i was trying Smoothwall i used two of the same kind of NICs and didnt know which one was which until i tried both.

JJB

Originally posted by JJB6486
or replace the box name with the IP Address.

Obviously it makes no difference whether you use the IP address or the hostname providing the correct port is specified :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back