Smoothen out Doom3

Heeter

Overclocked Like A Mother
Hi Guys,

I am presently playing Doom3. It is ever so slightly choppy. I think I can smoothen it out a bit more by O/C'ing the vidcard and the whole system overall. I am using RADLinker (Omega) for O/C'ing the 9600Pro. It is presently running 427mghz/325mghz. Anymore than that, Doom3 starts artifacting during game play, but it does smoothen out. Is there somewhere in the BIOS that I can increase the speed without sacrificing the video? Should I do the same thing for the FSB? it is at 215 x 10. If I go more, computer won't boot. I have never played with the voltages. Doom3 is set at "Ultra" seetings, 1280 x 1024 right now.

Thanks in advance,

Heeter

Not played doom, but i have OC'ed a 7NJS.. I still use one!.

I understand the 2500+ chip i a real good overclocker, and with real good coling will go as high as 2400 (you are currently using 2150), so if you have real good cooling, Use MBM5 to monitor cpu tamps, and increase the volage on the CPU. 0.25v at a time.

Having not used a 2500+ (guess its a barton?) but if the muliplier is unlocked you could go straight to 215 x 11 and cross you fingers!! You will need around 1.75 volts at the cpu to get this and you may to take you memory to 2.8 or 2.9v. XMS is very overclockable. Before you do anything make certain you know where the bios re-set jumper is on the mobo just in case. You can get some real goo advice on this on the chaintech section of this forum...

http://www.amdforums.com/index.php?s=

Her's wishing you success and a smoother Doom 3 !!!

Thanks a bunch, Bud.

The multiplier is unlocked, I actually brought it down to 10 from 11.
I was weary of the voltage settings part. That recommendation is a good start for me.

Thanks for the website as well.

Anything that I can do the vidcard?

Heeter

Dropping from Ultra to High kind of reduces the sharpness of the walls and such. If I can't get my system to play properly at Ultra settings, then High will have to do then,

Thanks EP,

Heeter

Just before release, Ultra was only recommended for cards with 512 of onboard memory. Gonna install the patch a little later and will see what I can run it at again :)

ultra - high settings should not affect your visuals much... basically a few things are affected but not in a major way..

what texture settings are you using in your control panel?

make sure OGL setting is on balanced... vsync is application preference... AA and AF are application preferences and all your texture settings are to their highest...

also fyi... I have a hard time playing the game smooth @ 1280x1024 using high quality settings... I think its a bit difficult to imagine you are running it smooth @ the same settings but with ultra quality on a 9600pro video card :cool:

even 10x7 @ high quality settings should not be that smooth for you though a hell of a lot more consistently playable than a higher resolution

The game is playing a lot better now. I increased the voltage to 1.75, then RAM voltage to 2.9, then I increased the multiplier to 11, and then dropped then FSB to 200. I am still at 427/329 on the vidcard.
Now the game is really smoother, but does still rough out a bit under intense scenes. But overall, a significant improvement.

Sazar, how could I prove to you that I am playing it at that setting? I am really not making this up. Never would do something like that. I always thought that this 9600Pro was always up to the task anyways. That is why I bought it.

Heeter

I am not saying you are making it up... heck I can theoretically play maxed out @ 16x12 res but its going to be unplayable for all intents and purposes :D

you obviously have a very different standard wrt playability than i do :cool:

in order for you to get the game playable you really do need to drop it to a lower resolution...

case in point...

1090787143TO62AMOEWX_6_6_l.gif

1090787143TO62AMOEWX_7_10_l.gif

and another

1090787143TO62AMOEWX_17_7_l.gif

what I am saying is @ ultra settings @ that resolution you really are going to be at an unplayable level unless you are simply running round in a dark environment w/o the flashlight on... turning the flashlight on and engaging enemies will kill the frame-rate :)

for a GOOD experience you may want to drop the res down to a lower level is my basic point... playing @ 12x10 is not prudent especially in the later levels when there are a lot more NPC's attacking you...

again I am not saying you are wrong... :) just from the results I have seen so far as well as my own benchmarks i can't see someone with a 4 pipe card playing d3 effectively @ high res...

In your opinion,

For which I do value since you really know your vidcards, would you recommend? Would it be better @ High 12x10 or Ultra 10x7? What I am looking for is no stuttering during gameplay, but would like really good definition of the surroundings.

Heeter

ati 9600 is antiquated technology, I dont care how many times they re-badge it and sell it again. its not for doom3.

look at ati 9800 pro or higher (meaning x800 series or gf 6800 Ultra).

Then come back complaining if its still slow.

Heeter said:
In your opinion,

For which I do value since you really know your vidcards, would you recommend? Would it be better @ High 12x10 or Ultra 10x7? What I am looking for is no stuttering during gameplay, but would like really good definition of the surroundings.

Heeter

I get stuttering @ even 10x7 resolution on MY system m8... d3 is just demanding @ higher res's...

don't even think about Ultra settings anyways...

it should play well I reckon @ 10x7 @ med/high or perhaps consider dropping it to lower res... 8x6 even @ high quality...

the game should still look decent coz most of it is based on lighting effects... most of the textures are low res anyways...

as I said I played through it @ 10x7 @ high and also 12x10 @ high...

the minimum frame-rates were worse for the higher res and stuttering more pronounced...

LordOfLA said:
ati 9600 is antiquated technology, I dont care how many times they re-badge it and sell it again. its not for doom3.

look at ati 9800 pro or higher (meaning x800 series or gf 6800 Ultra).

Then come back complaining if its still slow.

the 9600 is not antiquated... its just not designed to be cutting edge...

d3 scales well but it is going to chug @ higher settings on most cards and systems if they don't happen to be in the upper percentile of performance...

its what? 3? 4 year old core technology? thats antiquated in the gpu world. Either way its still not a chip you play doom 3 on, and if you do you certainly have no right to complain that its chugging..

:D

If you read through my posts, you will actually notice that I wasn't complaining, I was actually trying to achieve something. Through Sazar's explainations, I am able to understand why I can't play @1200x1000 on Ultra settings. That is actually what I needed. Sazar recommended 10x7@high settings. I am playing at that setting, to which I am incredibly happy now. Totally smooth now. Thanks Sazar. I kept turning it up when I should of turned it down.

One thing I did learn as well through this post. My XP2500+ chip is kickin' a$$ @ 215x11=2365mghz. HOLY COW! I didn't think my tower had it in it. Thanks DennisT. Now I realize why I paid all that good cash for this stuff, instead of generic stuff.

Heeter

LordOfLA said:
its what? 3? 4 year old core technology? thats antiquated in the gpu world. Either way its still not a chip you play doom 3 on, and if you do you certainly have no right to complain that its chugging..

:D

I believe it is actually less than 2 years old :)

and he wasn't complaining that I know of.. rather wanted to find a playable lod/res for the game or make the game playable @ the settings he had.. the former was what we worked on coz the latter was rather impossible...

You are right, Sazar

I bought it at the tail end of summer (September) last year. The 9700's were out, but it had not made it to the nearby computer store. To me, this 9600 I have is a very modern chipset for my needs.

Heeter

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back