Smoke and computer components

Nick M

OSNN Veteran Addict
May sound like a really silly question, but here goes:

Will cigarette, insense, or any other kind of smoke affect my monitor in any way? I've got a flatscreen , Samsung 170T.

I've been told it's not good for it. Does that statement have any truth to it?

Thanks!

edit: shameful spelling ;)

Last edited:
There was studies on this and they found that it can cause them lung cancer and low birth weight!;):p

Nicotine smoke is damn near impossible to get off a flat panel screen. Youll find out in a couple of months when you go to wipe it off and encounter a sticky smeary residue. Im not allowed to smoke in the house anymore (grumble grumble) so my components have been spared from my nasty habit.

P.S. Im still free to spill all the beer I want on them though. :)

Yeah keyboards are cheap so the spilled beer is no problem...

The tar residue will get on fans and heatsinks too causing dust to stick (more) and cutting cooling.

All monitor screens are coated now so if you get tar and crud on them removal might cause damage to the coatings.

Floppy and HD drives are not hermetically sealed so you might get contamination in there too.

CD drives use optical lasers that will get coated causing reduced performance.

Besides like they said above the smoke also causes the computers to get lung cancer, low birth weight and they forgot emphasema and heart disease, yellow teeth, burn holes in your good shirts and the carpeting, yellow walls and ceilings...

Did I miss anything?

Smoke is bad for all electronics.
- It speeds up metal corrosion, causing problems with connectors, potentiometers and other clean metal surfaces.
- It gives components a "coating" which gives problem with (like said above) for instance CD-drives.
- It degrades several types of components, I believe rubber rolls (like in printers) is one of them.

Then there's the health problems, but those you've probably heard of.

i get the feeling there are a few non-smokers among us :p

a mate of mine has to clean his cpu hsf and psu regularly to clean off all the cr*p that collects due to his smoking.

he complained his 1.4ghz athlon was running über hot, only for me to open the case and find the heatsink covered in thick brown muck. as soon as we cleared that off (not a nice job), the cpu temp dropped by near 10C

Cigarette smoke has been shown to cause BSODs and a reduction in processing speed in independent lab studies.:D

Originally posted by Nick M
May sound like a really silly question, but here goes

: Will cigarette, insence, or any other kind of smoke affect my monitor in any way? I've got a flatscreen , Samsung 170t.

I've been told it's not good for it. Does that statement have any truth to it?

Thanks!

may have some truth to it, but did not see any ill affects to the monitor after a year of pack a day abuse. had the same monitor as u nick....good monitor btw:)

Thanks for the replies!

I'll stop doing it...this is my last time :p

hey you smokers keep it up your subsidising my taxes:cool: and di you notice this thread has had more views than posts that have been up 4 days... you cruel *******s thought he fried his processor:D

Originally posted by XP Abuser
you cruel *******s thought he fried his processor:D
well yes, Nick M has been here long enough to know that you gotta make it sound interesting

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back