Smartphones based on PalmOS?

Glaanieboy

OSNN Veteran Addict
I was looking into buying a Motorola MPX200 Smartphone, but I didn't do it, since there is no support for MacOSX (I wanna buy a Mac Mini), except when you buy Missing Sync, which costs 50 dollars, which I don't plan to do.
I've understood that MacOSX has native support for PalmOS (using iSync), is that true? If so, I need a PalmOS based Smartphone, does something like that exist? I don't mean the Palm Treo series, but a Smartphone like the MIcrosoft Smartphones, but then with PalmOS. Or can someone recommend another phone which is natively supported in MacOSx and have all the stuff you'd expect from a Smartphone (like calendar, todo-list, mediaplayer, room for memory expansion cards)? I'd prefer one of the leading brands, like Sony Ericsson, Nokia, Motorola, Samsung, Siemens, Q-Tek etc.

Thanks!

iMates are based on Windows Mobile software, which only works with Windows based machines, unless you buy a package what I told earlier. Symbian sounds good too, but do es MacOSX support Symbian phones?

well im not to sure, but ill run a quick check for u now, yes symbian is an amazin operating system for phones i like it more than the windows ones, (alot of my friends have the imates) im planing on getting the new 6680 within a couple of weeks

Apparently it does:

The latest version (of iSync) expands support for the powerful Nokia Series 60 smart phone platform to include the new compact Nokia 6600. With this device and other Series 60 phones such as the Nokia 3600, 3620, 3650, 3660, 7650, N-Gage, and Siemens SX1 you can sync your calendars, to-dos and contacts (where even the picture from your Mac OS X address book syncs to the phone)
I've had a Nokia 3650 for two years now. It's been a solid, reliable phone, and there are thousands of third-party applications for the Symbian Series60 platform to add extra functionality. If you do decide to take the Series60 route, make sure the phone you get supports stereo output (since you want to use it as a media player). My 3650 only supports mono, making anything other than voice sound like garbage. :)

Everytime I see a thread about cellphones, I have to curse T-Mobile USA for not carrying any Windows Mobile smartphones. :p

hell yah net thats exactly what i think of my phone (3650) its good and i havent the need to change it for the last couple of years and i was waiting till they started releasing stereo, also about the imates i dont think they send them over to the states that much, but i dont like the windows operating system because when im using windows i like to see the files and it doesnt let you do that, i mean u could probably download a third party app but that type of feature should be built in,

themafia.69 said:
but i dont like the windows operating system because when im using windows i like to see the files and it doesnt let you do that, i mean u could probably download a third party app but that type of feature should be built in,
I'm not sure what you mean. There's no way to browse through the file structure on the Series60 phones out of the box either - I use FExplorer for that. There's bound to be something similar for WM2003.
Or am I thinking of something different?

yeah i know about that i use efilemanager but what i mean is like windows should be out of the box like the normal desktops (thats how i feel since im use to seeing directries not how its suppose to be) do u know what i mean now?

themafia.69 said:
yeah i know about that i use efilemanager but what i mean is like windows should be out of the box like the normal desktops (thats how i feel since im use to seeing directries not how its suppose to be) do u know what i mean now?
It's a phone. The average user doesn't really need to browse system files for any reason. That's quite possibly the primary reason why neither Symbian nor Microsoft include a file manager by default. It just increases the chances of newbies screwing things up. Power-users know how to get onto the net and download a third-party file manager if they feel the need to do so. ;)

FishBoy said:
netryder i thought you had the 6600
Nope. Still on the trusty 3650.
To me, the 6600 just isn't big enough of an upgrade to justify the purchase. :)

i hate the 6600 they made people think its much better because it has digital zoom when thats only the software which does the zooming so any 3rd party app can do. yeah ur right, but also one reason is to remove the cabre virus, (wait it does include a file manager for the symbian ones but one that doesnt see the system folders) like i removed the cabre virus for many people.

i think in 6600 is better than 3650 system-wise, 3650 is 6.1 and 6600 is 7.0s
but i dont think that the customers really care about that :D

It's a phone. The average user doesn't really need to browse system files for any reason. That's quite possibly the primary reason why neither Symbian nor Microsoft include a file manager by default.

That's not true. Windows Mobile 2003 includes File Manager by default.

I'm going to defend my Motorola MPx220 for a second. I love my phone! I love Windows being on it. I love everything about it. :)

Thanks for the clarification, Un4gIvEn1. I've used WM2003 devices only briefly, so I wasn't aware it included a file manager. :)

Personally, after seeing both of them in action, I'm pretty sure my next phone will be a WM2005 (Magneto) device. The Series60 phones are great devices with wonderful third-party application support, but the Windows Mobile OS itself just feels more polished when you use it. Look-and-feel aside, the WM Smartphones would probably be a better purchase for my purposes anyway since I use WMP10 and Outlook on my PC daily. And as most of us have realized by now...Microsoft stuff works really nicely with other Microsoft stuff. ;) Nokia's PC Suite application just can't hold a candle to the seamlessness of ActiveSync and WMP10's MTP on Windows PC's.

Then again, I didn't feel it was appropriate to try and convince Glaanie to change his mind and go with a WM2003 device since it wouldn't be the most prudent thing to do if he's going to switch to a Mac soon. So yeah, going back to the original post, I'd say look into one of the latest Series60 Nokias. They're your best bet. :)

yeah but i think u cant see system files and drives, i saw the file manager on my friends imate, its not complete like fexplorer or efilemanager net. u cant see drives and system files all u see is folders, maybe its different on unforgivens phone but on imates thats how it is, and it really bothers me

Yeah, on my phone I can see all files. I can even launch them by selecting them if they are an EXE. It always pops up a message verifying that I want to launch it and how it could be "potentially harmful" and all that.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back