smart phone plan insanity.

BouncingSoul

Stranger Than Fiction
Political Access
My friends and coworkers all have smart phones, I want a Droid so bad I can taste it. The plans are throwing me for a loop. I'm finding that these plans have separate sections for voice, data and text. Am I reading this stuff right? Are text messages really not considered part of a data plan? That doesn't seem right, they show up under the data section of my bill. My boss thinks this is relatively normal. He says its easy to get around, just have everyone send their texts to your email address and when you reply it goes to their phone number @ cellphone company.com or something. Thus eliminating the need for texting. Is that true? It seems like a loophole like this would be slammed shut by Verizon instantly. It also seems the cost of data is absurdly overpriced. I mean $30-45 a month just to surf the web "unlimited". That's almost as much as my crappy overpriced dsl. I see I could get a 20 meg package for $10/mo but I can only imagine how quickly I'd eat through that, having the Droid's GPS navigator open for a few minutes would probably suck all of that up.

ya, text and data are differant charges

in addition, sprint trys to get more charges in when you get a droid then when you get any other phone

this is the reason i stayed with windows mobile, I don't need to pay extra for services I don't need or are free with a differant phone

I just got back from the Verizon store... Confirmed what Perris said. They can't explain why text is separate. I mentioned how it's all in one category on my bill. The kid working tried to reason it out but couldn't. Ultimately he just said it's the way things are. Which is dumb. I asked about sending texts to my email address, he didn't say it was impossible but suggested it violated some terms. I'll have to look more into that. Data plans are still stupid expensive, but they are the way of future so there is no complaining I guess.

I did notice that the Verizon store is absolutely raping their customers on the Droid as well. They want 249.99 after mail in rebate. I can get the "mail in" rebates as instant at Best Buy and still still pay less. It's between $99 and $130 depending on what sales are going on.

I think I'm going to hold tight on everything until my contract is fully up (I'm just in my early renewal period now) and then see if I can join my girlfriends plan on Sprint. Save some cash with a multi-line plan.

Yea... Best Buy seems to be able to get freakin fantastic deals on phones sometimes.... not exactly sure how.

As for the whole data plan.... you'd actually probably find it much more convenient than you think. Take, for instance, if you're out on the town and want to find a nearby place to eat... or want to call in to your favorite pizza shop to get a pizza to go.... can quickly and easily look it up. Or if you want to find directions to somewhere... rather than using GPS. Not sure if it's only the iPhone or not (probably not)... but as far as i'm aware you can also use triangulation to find where you are, or at least your general area, and get directions that way. not quite as accurate, but works, and doesn't cost anything as far as i'm aware.

Yea... Best Buy seems to be able to get freakin fantastic deals on phones sometimes.... not exactly sure how.

As for the whole data plan.... you'd actually probably find it much more convenient than you think. Take, for instance, if you're out on the town and want to find a nearby place to eat... or want to call in to your favorite pizza shop to get a pizza to go.... can quickly and easily look it up. Or if you want to find directions to somewhere... rather than using GPS. Not sure if it's only the iPhone or not (probably not)... but as far as i'm aware you can also use triangulation to find where you are, or at least your general area, and get directions that way. not quite as accurate, but works, and doesn't cost anything as far as i'm aware.
there is the problem though, i already have unlimited data, I already have a gps, I do not need to watch their teevee progrmas

I have to add gps, teevee, radio and something else to get a droid...for services I will never ever use

me not getting a droid, especially with windows 7 around the corner

I find it interesting that we went from telegraph to telephone to basically back to telegraph now (text messages).

Perris: if they're FORCING you to pay for their over-the-air TV crap and the GPS and everything..... i'd question their practices, and possibly submit something to the BBB. The only thing you should need for a smartphone is the data plan.... although some argue that even that isn't necessarily needed. If Verizon is saying you need to pay for those services, i'd tell them that they can take their services, stick them up their a**, and just give you the phone with the services you want for it. If they don't agree.... find another Verizon location that will do so for you, and then possibly rub it in the other salespeople's faces.

Zombie: yeah... kinda odd... but there is also the saying History repeats itself. So long as we don't start getting corded cell phones (not including the plethora of home-phone's-disguised-to-look-like-cell-phones that you can't avoid seeing at Best Buy and such)... i don't think there's much to worry about.

Yeah, ever smartphone needs a data plan now because of the crazy rise in network bandwidth (AT&T knows this from the iPhone). Also text and data are separate because they are trying to make the most money possible and at first if you texted it cost them next to nothing but then you didn't use minutes (that was the original basis for a cell plan). :)

Also you could go agent to agent, but none of them are going to give you a smartphone w/out data, it's part of a smartphone now, on all networks. Also you should wait for the Nexus One it's suppose to make the Droid look sad. ;)

Think I'm gonna wait for the (rumored) Nexus Two. The One doesn't have a slideout keyboard and there are all those pictures of damaged screens due to them being carried in pockets. I always carry mine in my pocket!

back from the dead I know :)

if you have good coverage with sprint they have the best and easiest plans. 99.99 unlimited everything. no extra charges for anything, get any smart phone you want and you are done.

Currently my wife and I share 1500 minutes with unlimited text and data for 129.99.

I have a rooted Sprint Hero and nothing competes with Android. I came from a heavily hacked Touch Pro and I felt like I finally got a smartphone when I got me hero. And my hero is pretty outdated hardware-wise. With the Nexus one, HTC EVO 4G and hopefully the desire coming to sprint I won't leave them.

I also have a pretty big discount through my employer so my plan is actually a lot less.

As for coverage I've never had a single place I don't get coverage.

back from the dead I know :)

if you have good coverage with sprint they have the best and easiest plans. 99.99 unlimited everything. no extra charges for anything, get any smart phone you want and you are done.

Currently my wife and I share 1500 minutes with unlimited text and data for 129.99.

I have a rooted Sprint Hero and nothing competes with Android. I came from a heavily hacked Touch Pro and I felt like I finally got a smartphone when I got me hero. And my hero is pretty outdated hardware-wise. With the Nexus one, HTC EVO 4G and hopefully the desire coming to sprint I won't leave them.

I also have a pretty big discount through my employer so my plan is actually a lot less.

As for coverage I've never had a single place I don't get coverage.
I have always been a big advocate for sprint, I have a legasy contract for just 10 bucks I get unlimited data I have unlimited data, this means for 60 bucks total I get tethering my laptop at over 3 meg

they want me to updgrade to teevee and gps if I get an android, I don't need teevee or gps so no android for me

also, I don't want to get an android with mobile seven around the bend

Think I'm gonna wait for the (rumored) Nexus Two. The One doesn't have a slideout keyboard and there are all those pictures of damaged screens due to them being carried in pockets. I always carry mine in my pocket!
One of the selling points of the Nexus One IMHO is the lack of pull out keyboard. The physical keyboard is dead on phones, and hopefully stays that way for future generations. :)

One of the selling points of the Nexus One IMHO is the lack of pull out keyboard. The physical keyboard is dead on phones, and hopefully stays that way for future generations. :)

to each their own I guess, for instance I don't think that's a selling point I think it's a compromise without the keyboard, I think it's the same thing as a laptop, I wouldn't buy one without a keyboard

most phones with hardware keyboards do both, it's up to the user rather then the manufacturer making decisions for you, with these devices the screen keyboard for people like you that perfer it . then for people like me, who don't want to waste viewing real estate, weslide out the hardware..much better, much more practical and a choice to each their own

my htc is not thcker then phones that don't have a keyboard, I can use the screen if I want and I like thekeyboard much better then the screen

I'm not buying a phone without a hardware keyboard, I like them much better then screen keyboards and they leave the screen for content

hardware keyboards are gonna be around for a long time

now, if a company wanted to use my invention, which is a slide out screen that doubles as a keyboard so you can double your screen or use it as a software keyboard, that I'd get

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back