Smart Detection : Hard Disk Failure Eminent

percy

OSNN Senior Addict
Hi. I have a 120Gb Western Digital Hdisk and everytime I boot up a message comes out that says : Smart detection that I need to backup my files because my hard disk is about to fail.

What triggers this? Is there a way to fix it? How can I make this internal hard drive as a USB external hard drive?
thanks.

Go here and download the Data Lifeguard Diagnostic so you can test the drive. The Data Lifeguard Tools are on that page too but you want the diagnostic.

You might want to act fast though, and back up any important data you have on that HD.

I had already backup all important files. Now I wanted to test the drive and the way to check this is make it as a slave drive either using the IDE and connect to the mother board. I was also thinking how can I make this internal Hdisk as a USB Hdisk. Thanks.

Making it a slave or an external will in no way change the fact the day is used and will fail sooner or later , but at least your system will be installed on a different drive.

You are right. Since it's about to "die" I want to make this an external hard drive. Is it possible? How do I make it? thanks.

the problem is, when you put it in an external USB box the smart functions will no longer be read.
and if its about to fail best bets to get another and use it as a doorstop.

the active smart trial (google) will tell you what error codes being thrown, but from experience if your lucky enough to get a smart fault come up then its a few beats from a flatline. (doorstop)
most people will tell you there hard drive failed or showed signs of failiure and never got a smart code.
if its broke, most of the time it doesnt know its broke.

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Prod...ilterMaxPrice=&FilterCategories=380&OrderBy=3

icybox make a nice external box, if you are going to go ahead anyway, you can always throw a cheap drive in when it does crap out.

good luck :)

On the flip side, I've seen drives give a smart detection error and people continue to run them for years (I have one user who has run his with the warning for the last 18 months and counting!). All the same, I would recommend replacing the drive..

Ive had a few SMART warnings on a drive that is still working perfectly even today. However anything that has thrown smart warnings is not worth the trouble if it does fail.

If you have an ubuntu boot disk, boot up into that, then open a terminal, and type:

apt-get install smartmontools (Don't worry, won't be installed on your hard drive)

then use:

smartctl -a /dev/hda

To see what the errors are. It provides information on stuff as well, for example temperature of the drive. That is your best bet to find out why your drive is possibly failing, or use the shareware tool.

thank you. I will run the smart tool and see what is really making it "die". I had already backup all files. I appreciate all the posts. :)

Hi. I have a 120Gb Western Digital Hdisk and everytime I boot up a message comes out that says : Smart detection that I need to backup my files because my hard disk is about to fail.

What triggers this? Is there a way to fix it? How can I make this internal hard drive as a USB external hard drive?
thanks.
I don't believe you. Your signature doesn't say you have a 120GB drive :p

Percy - when you run data lifeguard it will print out an error report. Take this, call WD and ask for an RMA. They will repair or repalce the drive.

That is the second beauty of SMART it means an automatic free (sans postage) replacement, the first is advance warning so you can back up.

I had just updated my signature and what it has is my 120Gb Seagate Barracuda. The other 120Gb Western Digital is not connected since I had encountered the problem. I will continue with the "smart tool run" and see what the result is. Thank you for the replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back