Small Upgrade

N

Not Bman

This is what I have at the moment.

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual 4600+ 2.41Ghz
1GB of RAM
7900GT 256MB Videocard
M2N32-SLI Deluxe Motherboard

If I wanted to upgrade to the greatest, so It can play everything amazingly what would I be buying, to fit this computer?

just build a new computer or upgrade to a single or dual 8800gtx and at lest 2 gigs of ram

Video card should be the first thing. Also an extra gigabyte of RAM...I'm running a 4200+ and a new 8800GTS 640 made all the difference. If you have to change one thing in that system though, pick the video card.

just build a new computer or upgrade to a single or dual 8800gtx and at lest 2 gigs of ram

Why would ya say that, it's not an old system, just going to be soon.

Thanks Petros, if I also wanted to get a new processor, what would go well with that motherboard, and is a good one?

For a processor and motherboard, it wouldn't hurt to hold off until January. That's what I'm doing, anyway. Intel is dumping a whole new line then and all the current stuff will be pretty cheap. If you are just keeping your motherboard and it's an AM2, you can pick up a 6000+ without breaking the bank.

Another gig of RAM and possibly upgrade the processor. The 7900 is still a good video card, you should be able to play pretty much anything with your current setup.

Alright, I am going to research some stores around here for the 6000+ and get some more RAM, maybe even 4GB in total.

If I have any detail questions I will be back.

Alright, I am going to research some stores around here for the 6000+ and get some more RAM, maybe even 4GB in total.

If I have any detail questions I will be back.

If your running Vista you can use the 4GB but XP wont make use of that .

I thought XP was up to 4GB, and anything after that, Vista or OS X

I'm not sure what your budget is, but you can replace the core components for pretty cheap. You could build an Intel Core 2 system with 2 - 4 GB of ram for around $600, keeping your current video card. Just getting a new CPU, Ram (DDR-2) & Mobo.

I am still using an x2 4400+ with a 1950xtx, works fine for me.

Video card, 8800 GTX or something.

How much are those going for now? cdn

I'm not sure what your budget is, but you can replace the core components for pretty cheap. You could build an Intel Core 2 system with 2 - 4 GB of ram for around $600, keeping your current video card. Just getting a new CPU, Ram (DDR-2) & Mobo.

My budget is small right now, but soon will be large enough for all things.

I find that motherboards are the hardest to buy, there are no many, and to many detials for them..

They are around $500 US, I still think that your 7900 will play pretty much anything just fine.

If your running Vista you can use the 4GB but XP wont make use of that .

Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the difference lies not in the Operating System of choice per se, but more the 32 versus 64 bit flavoring of either.

A 32-bit system is not able to take advantage of the full 4GB due to the way the memory addresses are used.

To find more information, there is an article listed below.

http://chris.pirillo.com/2007/08/30/32-bit-windows-and-4gb-of-ram/

Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the difference lies not in the Operating System of choice per se, but more the 32 versus 64 bit flavoring of either.

A 32-bit system is not able to take advantage of the full 4GB due to the way the memory addresses are used.

To find more information, there is an article listed below.

http://chris.pirillo.com/2007/08/30/32-bit-windows-and-4gb-of-ram/
You are not wrong, and it's not a XP/Vista thing. It's a 32-bit/64-bit thing :D

What Derek said.

He's as correct as the Red Sox pwn the Yankees.

Also, I think the Geforce 9 cards will be rolling out late this year/early next year - perhaps it would be worth waiting a couple of months and seeing what's round the corner. I know you can always say that about technology, but I think I'd really kick myself if I shelled out for an 8800GTX and then a better card for less money came out 2 months later.

http://www.beyond3d.com/content/news/230 - info

G92 seems to be an evolutionary product. Not sure why they would call it a 9 series, thought it was going to be called the 8800 GTS?

I knew it was a 32bit 64bit thing , NO-ONE uses Winxp64 LOLOL thats all ...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back