small upgrade

seperatist

OSNN Senior Addict
hi, i would like to upgrade my motherboard. cpu and get a new hd. any suggestions on a motherboard choice? there are so many new choices it can get a bit confusing. i want to go as cheap as possible. the reason for the upgrade is a new baby and my wife and i want to transfer video from our digital video camera onto dvd so firewire is a must. i also want to stick with AMD.

suggestions?

thanks

seperatist said:
hi, i would like to upgrade my motherboard. cpu and get a new hd. any suggestions on a motherboard choice? there are so many new choices it can get a bit confusing. i want to go as cheap as possible. the reason for the upgrade is a new baby and my wife and i want to transfer video from our digital video camera onto dvd so firewire is a must. i also want to stick with AMD.

suggestions?

thanks

Well, the last point on your question is where you need to start. You should decide which type of AMD you want to stick with. I am going through a similar process, and can recommend AMD socket 939. For ROI, and cost effectiveness, I would also suggest you get the 3000+, with Venice Core. Others might say 3200+, but I don't see that as being a good investment since the cost difference doesn't reflect benchmark results.

As far as motherboards, I would go with this one...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16813123243

Gives you great Audio/LAN onboard options. Note: You would need to get a Video Card on the side.

I would like to point out while this IS a nice board most older video cards are AGP, this has NO AGP port... keep that in mind when making your decision.

NOT that I am against you upgrading but how about listing the specs of your machine here? YOu may have no need to upgrade your machine just upgrading your capacity for storage... just a thought...

:D

<----- you know what to do if I helped you... Press my STAR!

i have a athlon xp 1800, 512mb RAM, 20 and 80gb HD, radeon 9500pro. no firewire. i think a new HD motherboard and processor would be enough.

There are not many 64 bit boards with AGP slots.

If you want to keep your current card then look into boards with VIA's K8T800 Pro or nForce3 Ultra chipsets as both are AGP.

Take a look at this review of nine boards as some are AGP and maybe you can find one you like.

You have a nice system there, what motherboard do you have?
If you dont game alot I agree with you...I think what you have is plenty...
but Im one to talk... I just upgraded to a BFG 6800 GT 256MB card... but I do a ton of gaming as well...

Its preference really, if your mobo can handle it, I would just say upgrade your vid and proc, and maybe another 512 of the same memory... and if you feel it is neccesary get a new HD, I would free up space and see what you really need first...

just my 2 cents...

i do game a lot actually and would like a new video card but they tend to be a bit pricey. i think i am going to stop buying ATI because of their horrible driver performance (at least from my experience).

i have a shuttle an37pro ( i think that's the model #).

i really just want to be able to get video onto my HD and have a good amount of space to work with. i don't need a supercomputer even though i want one:)

Well the video card you have is actually quite good, and ATI has had as far as I am concerned some of the easiest video cards to update...

Albeit they are slow in getting drivers out.. the newest drivers really did help.

Have you upgraded to the new ones? DO a search for catalyst drivers you will find them.

everytime i upgrade my ati drivers my 2d menus get screwed up (windows start menu) and games play horrible. unless some major strides have been made i am heading to the nvidia camp.

You havent turned the reaction speed down from the default 400ms have you?

i never touch settings like those, just install with default settings. the problem isn't reaction time, it's that the menus will stay on the screen for a second after i close them out. i will try the new drivers and use the uninstall utility ati has on their site and see what happens.

So, you never did repost did the last set of drivers set you up nicely?

Thanks,

Mike A!

they did work. i used the ati utility to remove the previous drivers and installed the new ones. worked like a charm.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back