Small time upgrade.

S

slayer[X]

im thinking about upgrading my vcard from geforce 2 mx to geforce 4 mx.

The questions are as follows:

1. Will this increase the performance of my games?

2. Looking at my current system, can i put a geforce 4 mx "DDR", not "SDR"? (MotherBoard is BVD1M Procomp)

- SLAYER - X

The Geforce 4 MX is basically a re-packaged Gf2MX. Personally for budegt I would recommend a ATi 9000Pro or non Pro both can be had for under £100 easially. You may also want to look at the Geforce 5200 range.
For your second question there are few cards out their now with SDR memory and you would be better off with DDR.

Unfortunately, ATI cards are not sold here in the philippines.

Heres OUR pricelist:

P: Pesos (Our Currency)
$: US Dollars (55 Pesos for 1 $)

Geforce 4 MX 440SE 64mb SDR = P1980 ($36)
Geforce 4 MX 440SE 64mb DDR = P2130 ($38.70)
Geforce 4 MX 440SE 128mb SDR = P2600 ($47.30)
Geforce 4 MX 440SE 128mb DDR = P2750 ($50)

Could someone kindly compare their prices with mine.
(All vdcards are from INNO3D.)

Oh and how can i know if my motherboard is ddr capable?
(My motherboard came a long long time ago like 2 years.)

Cant afford a new mboard.

well your motherboard wont support DDR because it is running SDR and a Celeron, therefore its probably an old system.
Many online sites will ship outside their native country, so look around.
If I had to choose between those GFX cards then I would go for either of the DDR solutions.

i dont think u will notice any significant increase of performance... from gf2 to gf4...!

Hmm...
anyway im off to buy an athlon xp 1800+ and a K7SOM Board!!!

i might be too late... but slayer, your board doesn't have to have ddr memory to support a video card with ddr memory. they're independent and unrelated. so whatever card you get, make sure it has ddr memory for much better performance.

Like Taurus said probably too late but...

Using Madonion 2001 SE330 benchmark:
The MX4-440 benchmarks out 60% faster than an MX2-400 with a low end system (1 gig or less) like yours.
The MX4-440 benchmarks out 240% faster than an MX2-400 with a high end system (2.7 gig or higher).

Using UT2003 game benchamrk:
Frame rate is 3 times faster with the MX4-440 vs the MX2-400 and doesn't change much witht he cpu speed.

So if you beleive in benchmarks there will be a definite improvement with the MX4-440. As for the price, the ones you quoted are the lowest I've seen based on the USD numbers.

Info is from http://www.tomshardware.com/graphic/20030120/vgacharts-03.html

Thats a big difference.
Im actually gonna buy a geforce 4 mx 440 DDR and the Athlon XP and mboard!!

P6950 : ($126)

Oh and LeeJend,
What type of MX-440 was used?
DDR or SDR?

One more Question,
which do you recommed buying?
Vdcard or MBoard + Processor?

Vdcard: Geforce 4 MX 440SE 64mb DDR
Mboard + Proc: AMD 1800 + K7SOM

Thanks to the knowledge you all shared to me.
Especially to Taurus and LeeJend.

Originally posted by slayer[X]
One more Question,
which do you recommed buying?
Vdcard or MBoard + Processor?

Vdcard: Geforce 4 MX 440SE 64mb DDR
Mboard + Proc: AMD 1800 + K7SOM

Thanks to the knowledge you all shared to me.
Especially to Taurus and LeeJend.

mobo + processor :)

the gfx card you are looking @ is effectively the same technology but it has been speed bumped quite well so it does perform better than the old card.. but it is basically dx7 technology..we are upto dx9 right now...

if you game you will not be seeing the same effects peopel with dx8/dx9 cards see... but this is not always a bad thing :D

the processor and mobo will improve ALL of your computer experience... the gfx card will improve your gaming experience only... :)

upgrade based on that... and what you need/want..

Slayer

Can't tell for sure, but I'd bet it was DDR Ram on an MX-440 Vid card. SDRAM in new products has been pretty much dead for 18-24 months now and I think the MX-440 came out since then.

Originally posted by LeeJend
Can't tell for sure, but I'd bet it was DDR Ram on an MX-440 Vid card. SDRAM in new products has been pretty much dead for 18-24 months now and I think the MX-440 came out since then.
so has the mx420 and it's an sdr-only card. i think there are some sdr variations of the mx440, too.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back