Small Problem

C

Curt

Hello Guys! I have a small problem. Ya know, I have a habbit of downloading programs all the time, just trying them out... well, sometimes they leave a mess after you unninstall :-( Right now, when I right click and select "new" I am getting 2 options for making files that once went with a program. I have went to reg editor and deleted the keys that were assosciated with the old programs. So, my question is what controls what's on the "new" list? A value in the registry? How do I get rid of them?!

Thanks

Yeah, it will be a value in the registry. Problem is those values are usually unique to what each program writes to the registry, not all in the same place. I'm a program monger too. My solution, when I've thoroghly hammered things enough, it to do a ctrl+alt+format. You might consider that, or setting the occasional restore point so you can roll your machine back to happier times.

The Key you want to look for is:-

ShellNew

There are quite a few of them, so hopefully the ShellNew Key will be attached to a Key that will give you a clue as to the programme.

Try This

Once you get sorted out,I suggest you get hold of a program to take a snapshot of registration,there are also programs that track changes to the registry.Unfortunately I don't have the names of these programs,but they do exist.Good luck.
FOSSY69

RegShot.exe is a tiny little programme that will take a snapshot of the registry before and after adding things to your system.
It might be included inside a zip file called "RegSnapShot"

Of course you could always back up the registry before installing a new program and then use it when/if you delete the program to bring things back.

When I delete a program, I go into the registry and do a search for the program by name and company , and it usually gets everything

Thanks Guys :) Took me about 15minutes. At first I found them all under a shell new. I deleted the 2 that I didn't want.. So I went to see if they were still there. They weren't! Did it agian, and they were their agian. So I deleted those 2 agian and then searched for the programs. Deleted those, and that took care of the problem. To the person who suggested a reformat.. NO WAY! I haven't reformated in 9 months, and my PC is GREAT.. I have a 160gig HardDrive and it would take WEEKS to get all the programs I have back! Reformating should only be done when it's absolutly nessesary in my opinion.

Hi Curt,
have you not considered partitions?
One partition for XP and another for your programmes. This way if XP goes t!ts-up you can re-format the XP partition and have all your programmes waiting for you when its all up and running again.

As for the ShellNew you tried to get rid of, it must have been this one:-
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Discardable\PostSetup\ShellNew

You can delete them from here and they will re-appear upon the next right-click.

This is the address you need to remove those ShellNew's from:-
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes

im with lonman...nothing like the fresh feeling of a clean install. Sure, i wouldnt have done one for the problem that you were having (btw there are numerous programs that will allow you to delete those entries without diving into the registry..... context edit from pcmag is awesome ). I dont have any real problems with my system, but ill be doing a clean install in about a week (its been ~3.5 months) just for th hell of it. It doesnt take that long to install all your programs if you have most of them on cd, and take a snapshot of your program files folder to know which shareware stuff you want to redownload

Originally posted by Dirk Diggler
Hi Curt,
have you not considered partitions?
One partition for XP and another for your programmes. This way if XP goes t!ts-up you can re-format the XP partition and have all your programmes waiting for you when its all up and running again.

ive got partitions, but xp and programs all on one, and data on others. I thought about putting apps on a seperate partition, but dont some programs install files into the windows and system directories? Wouldnt it be a pain sorting all that out afterwards? And what about all the registry entries?

Some programmes do and some don't. When you've done it, use all your programmes and those that don't run, make a note to re-install them on re-format.
As it turns out, all the programmes I use do not need to be re-installed, and I use quite a few programmes including PhotoShop 6.0

yeah, but what about the registy?? its rewritten when u reinstall. all the programs' registry entires are wiped out

Only programmes that install files into the system folders will demand registry addresses. All others wil add addresses when they are used or will not use it.

A 'partition' is a wall that separates two rooms. A hard drive partition is similar. You can make a number of partitions on your hard drive that will, in affect, be treated as separate hard drives by your computer. I have a 45gig hard drive partitioned into 3 'rooms' - my C:\ paritition is 2gigs and contains a working Win2k installation (used only if I crash XP so hard I can't boot to it), my D:\ partition is 20gigs and has my XP installation on it, my E:\ partition takes up the rest of my drive and I use it to store my downloaded programs, mp3's, etc.

Think about your hard-drive as a cake, a partition is a slice of that cake. Your Operating System looks at that slice as though it was another hard-drive.

Sorry Lonman,
didn't see your post before I posted mine

Partition Magic 7.0 will do it for you. Just tell it what you want and it will carry out your instructions.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back