small cluster size.

T

teddy bear

i just ran a diagnostic program on my hard drive, and it says i have a 1 kb cluster size. i used the pcpitstop.com diagnostic program. is there any way i cna fix that to increas my performance?

a small cluster size means that you can store your files more effectively, but I never heard of anything going that low, which file system you using and what size hard drive. If it is NTFS then regardless of the drive size a 4Kb cluster should be used. You could try running convert.exe as that might help it converts drives to 4Kb NTFS, though I would recommend backing up your drive first.

yes, it is ntfs. i did a full install and had windows convert my system to ntfs at the bootup. i guess windows sucks at formatting

did you have the XP installation Convert your old hard drive to NTFS or did you do a clean install and format the drive.

I would recommend doing a NTFS format not convert from problems I had after convertion.

you've got me stumpted, have you tried looking through the Microsoft Knowledge Base.
If you havent search for
NTFS, 1KB Cluster, Cluster Size

Hope this helps, as I cant think of anything. You could try getting Partition Magic 7 it may be able to help, but I am not sure.

ive got partition magic 7. i will see what type of help i can get on the pcpitsotp bulletin board. thanks for the help

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back