Slower than it should be

Brad

OSNN Veteran Addict
Political Access
The specs of my computer are listed below...

Do I have to change the FSB to the highest possible, or should it automatically do the highest possible...I checked in my BIOS and it said that i was running a 133FSB. I know that it should be a lot higher than this considering that as far as I know, nothing is holding it back... please ask if you have any other questions.

no your system is running at its rated sped, there are only 2 athlon xp chips (maybe 3) that run at a higher fsb: (maybe 2500+) 3000+ 3200+

http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php

download and run CPU-Z and you will be able to see exactly whats going on wrt your clocks...

dreamliner is correct :) your fsb will be 133x2 == 266mhz (double data rate marketing brilliance)

the 2400+ should have a 266mhz fsb (133x2) afaik from the original models... not sure if there have been variants since...

Your FSB is actually 266mHz (2x133) so it is running faster. They double clock the FSB inside the chip. The next rated speed is 166/333(Barton and a few Athlon/Semprons), and then 200/400 (very few chip$ Athlons/Semprons).

Like LA said 133/266 is the max rated FSB for that version of the Athlon XP, but...

If you feel like experimenting and are willing to take the risk you can probably overclock the FSB on that CPU.

Risks - void warantee, could fry the cpu if you are not careful, you need a decent cooler on the CPU. If it's a stock AMD cooler don't mess with overclocking.

The nvidia web site has a nice software tool that lets you overclock the CPU from windows so if it crashes when you restart it is at the default speed.

Warning - before trying anything read up on overclocking. You need to watch the CPU temperature closely when you increase the speed.

what i mean by it running slowly is that i was trying to benchmark using a benchmarking program (pcmark2003) i think and i wasn't getting a frame rate above 5 fps...let me know what you need.

It depends on the benchmark you are running. I dont use PCMark2003 so I can't say. Try the following:
-Aquamark (35,000 to 40,000)
-3dMark03 (5500-6500)
-3dMark01 (14,000-18000, it's an old DX8 benchmark)

Check the comparison scores on the futuremark website or in the benchmark forum here at OSNN to see how a similar machine performs. I think I saw some PCmark scores in there.

And as always, don't put too much faith in benchmarks. If the games you play run ok then don't worry about the "artificial scores" in benchmarks. The scores can be significantly influenced by drivers "cheats".

Edit
I just checked the futuremark site and they don't list PCmark2003 anymore. And remember having antialiasing and anisotropic filtering on can cut your score in half.

i got 4574 on 3dmark03
and a 29,917 on aquamark

both are below what you had said i guess what i should have...i dont know if those are yours or targets but if anyone could help that would be great

interesting...my CPU is being read as an athlon xp 1800+

can you take a screencap using the cpu-z application I linked to above and post that please?

re: the scores... the ones leejend posted were a little on the optimistic side for your gpu/setup... ;)

that you are sort of close is a good sign :D

i just OC'd it so i am showing 2.14 GHz

Before anything else check your CPU temp before you fry that chip. If the temp is below 50 deg C at idle / 55 deg C gaming, or decoding, you're ok for now.

Considering it said you had an 1800 that cpu may have a 333 FSB even though I thought the 2400 was only a 266 mhz FSB.

Better do what Sazar said with CPU-Z before he gets violent. (I love good cop, bad cop routines.) ;)

CPU-z will tell us what chip and masking is really in there.

I'm especially curious because if it's really a Sempron 2400 then it is 333 (166)FSB and you may need to do a MB bios update.

i will do the image when i get home...i am currently at my girlfriend's. My temperature was at 45 at idle.

OT: Brad, thought I had restored your posts but apparently not.
Reassociated your old posts, post count and join date :)

as requested...

Attachments

• CPU-Z.JPG
    CPU-Z.JPG
    50.1 KB · Views: 92
interesting...

cpu-z generally gives the correct info on the processor, even if it is oc'd... or the mults have been adjusted...

i am also getting the lovely irql not less or equal when trying to play soldier of fortune II. I think the performance is where it should be.

switch around you pci devices... namely sound card and it should help you with the IRQ errors...

i am using the onboard sound...

do my computer specs sound pretty good (outside the 512MB of RAM). I see a lot of the computers in this place and I feel that mine is not adequate....

do you feel it does what you want it to do :)

if so... its adequate... if you feel you are sorely lacking wrt performance for what you use your computer for than yes... it might be time for upgrades...

re: pci devices... if you have pci devices, they can lead to IRQ errors... generally occurs with sound cards, but is not limited to it...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back