Slow XP Network

• Thread starter threehorseshoes
  • Start date
T

threehorseshoes

Any one help with my slow xp network

Were runnin xp with sbs2000 with DNS and Active directory

but our network browse times have become slow

say to copy a 13MB file win9x will take arond 10 Sec but xp will take up to 12 Mins !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! arghhhhhhhhhhhhh

i have cheaked and reinstalled all network cards and all ruin at 100Mbps

and so does the hub

i have disabled QOS and the namespace thing
Reconfigured the MTU and TCP/IP settings (made marginally faster) not much though

i have installed netbui

what else is there cant figure it out worked ok with 2000 and 9x
bet theres a patch somewhere

tar in advance
---- ==-= =
---=--==-=-

try set DUPLEX ..... full,half
i don't know if it help you but when i set duplex to full i have same problem as you.

Rickie

:eek: Na gets a little faster bu not a lot 2.2MB in 3 min i dont think thats right at all

but cheers for suggestion

I've got the same problem

I've been working on it for a lot of today. Tried a million things. I've loaded the 3Com Diagnostic interface and watched what happens. When using Full Duplex at either speed, the CRC Errors and Frame Alignment Errors go up fast. CRC faster than Frame Alignment about 5:1. When using Half Duplex, the Transmit Deferrals, Multiple Collisions, and Single Collisions got up. Right now at 1312, 341 & 140 respectively. Obviously XP is not handling the networking appropriately. I am wondering if it has to do with the way it's supposed to dyanmically adjust settings, etc. In any case, over the inernet it's not as bad as with local network traffic. I can open very large web pages (like 3-days worth of news) and it just barely rose to 1318, 342, 141 and some of that might be from email checking, etc. In any case, opening a ZIP file takes FOREVER across this connection. So, running self-installing drivers or apps that are packed into a sinle file can take forever. Copy the same file over and then run it, and it's WAY faster so it's definitely lost somewhere in the negotiation of the connection and communicating about receiveing the packets effectively, etc. Any network gurus out there got a clue what can be done?

Try using not TCP/IP. Not sure if you have not tried it yet, but try. install IPX, or even better NETBEUI

Hope this helps

BTW, NETBEUI is the fastest windows network protocol, least overhead, but least secure as well, but works perfectly for LAN

Hmmm Nice try

Copying the fles over to use would realy beet the point of having the network wouldnt it i dont know maybe me being daft but like you say browsing the Net. is ok..

Installing NETBui or IPX would also not be very advantages me thinxs this would screw up all the systems including printing and WAN capabilitys im not running netware..............

But cheers for your posts

Does anyone want to place money on if i get a .NET server this will resolve my problems cos i do.........

> Copying the fles over to use would realy
> beet the point of having the network
> wouldnt it i dont know maybe me being
> daft but like you say browsing the Net. is ok..

I was using that as an example the sustained bandwidth is not as much of an issue as the overhead in multiple transactions. The example of a self-extracting file illustrates that perfectly. Copy the file over (albeit slowly) and it then run it and it runs as expected. Try and run that file from its location on the network (preferred) and it takes FOREVER and the errors go through the roof.

> Installing NETBui or IPX would also not be
> very advantages me thinxs this would
> screw up all the systems including printing
> and WAN capabilitys im not running
> netware..............

Ditto. If IPX and NetBeui are so great, why wasn't the internet based on them instead of TCP/IP?

> Does anyone want to place money on if i
> get a .NET server this will resolve my problems
> cos i do.........

I would wonder about that, but it darn well best work with a Windows 2000 server and network as that's what's out there and is what M$ claims XP works with.

Thanks, but, not the same problem.

I'm not having a problem browsing or finding other machines at all. That works perfect. It's transfers of large amounts of data that are all messed up. I do have an open ticket with 3Com now and will post the results of that as soon as they can get me some info on this. If anyone else has found a fix for this problem, please let me know.

Thanks,
Joel

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back