Slow Startup

D

Dick

My Windows XP Home start up times are erratic. From a power off start (by the clock) it some times gets to the useable desktop in 45 seconds, yet other times it takes up to 2 minutes.

Does anyone have any ideas what's causing this & how do I fix it? The forum searches I've done report a lot of slow startup issues but not much on erratic start up delays like this.

Your help will be much appreciated.

Best regards, Dick

Found This

See if this is your problem.

Correcting System Hang at Startup

If your system hangs about 2 or 3 minutes at startup, where you can't access the Start button or the Taskbar, it may be due to one specific service (Background Intelligent Transfer) running in the background. Microsoft put out a patch for this but
it didn't work for me. Here's what you do:

1. Click on Start/Run, type 'msconfig', then click 'OK'.
2. Go to the 'Services' tab, find the 'Background Intelligent Transfer' service, disable it, apply the changes & reboot.

Iceman & Hipster, Thanks to both of you for your replies. They're appreciated.

Iceman, Although I'm not sure yet how to use it (no directions), I tried the Bootvis "optimize" function & it slowed down even more. Now takes 2 to 3 minutes to completely start up.

Hipster, I'm asking to be sure that I understand what you're saying. 1) Do you mean 2 to 3 minutes from "push the power switch" until you can use programs, &/or the "start" or "taskbar" on the desktop? 2) Or that it hangs 2 to 3 minutes after the desktop window opens? 3) That the Microsoft patch didn't work for you to disable (or repair) the "Background Intelligent Transfer", so you suggest manually disabling it. Have I got it right?

Out of curiosity, might use of any of the following have some thing to do with this issue? It's on a backup hard drive that had its system cloned from my main drive using Norton Ghost "Disk Clone". Also used Norton Utilities "Speed Disk" to try to optimize the start up delay. Also used Windows XP "Adjust Performance" option - it's in Control Panel>System>Advanced Tab>Performance Settings. Also used Partition Magic to reallocate free space on this drive.

Reason for asking is that the original system consistently starts up in One minute fifteen seconds. So I'm wondering if my tinkering screwed it up.

Best regards, Dick

Here you go, I should have put this link in my first response anyway, sorry.

Bootup Speed

it also tells you how to use bootvis properly, please keep us informed of your progress, there are other things we can check.

none of the programs you listed should have effected your boot up time, however, Speeddisk, I personally do not care for this program, it can and will move files that should not be moved while in use. Be careful with it. I like Diskeeper myself but there are others just as good if not better.

good luck, let us know

:cool:

Update

Hipster: Disabling Background Intelligent Transfer
did nothing for me. Thanks any way.

Iceman: Thanks for the info & helpful links. I just downloaded Bootvis & have barely started to get acquainted with it. The links should get me up to speed pretty fast although I've already shaved 13 seconds from start up time. I'll keep you posted on further/or lack of progress. Also, from the bit I've used it; I think Nortons Speedisk is a waste of money too.

Dick

Any chance you're using a Norton firewall?

I had this issue, whenever Norton tried to load it conflicted with some other process or another and everything hung up. All I had to do was change when Norton loaded and everything was cool.

Not sure if this applies, but if it might then I can give you the details.

Thanks for the idea Ohm Eye but I'm not running a Norton Firewall. I use ZoneAlarm. There is also a Microscrap Firewall installed in the system but it isn't in use.

Actually, Icemans suggestion about using Bootvis (now being used properly) and Startup Control Panel have shaved my start up time to about one minute. Sometimes as low as 45 seconds - sometimes
1 Min 15 secs. Thanks a bunch Iceman.

I still don't understand why boot time isn't more consistant (since nothing changes from boot to boot) but maybe that's one of lifes (or Windows) little mysteries.

za pro is a bear...switch to tiny, or try free za

if you're not sharing files, dissable workstaion in the services...if you are sharing files; stop sharing files, and dissable workstaion in the services

Dealer, Thanks for the tip but I'm not using ZA PRO. Mine is the old freebie which is a pussy cat. I've been using it for about two years now with no problems.

I'll try the other ideas you suggested & post the results.

Update

Iceman, or Others PLEASE HELP

Upon first use of Bootvis & Startup CPL, my actual start up time decreased a bit.

I'm now trying for further improvement by disabling services using the guide in the Deviant PC Forum. After disabling about half of the services suggested; according to Bootvis, my boot time was halved from 62 seconds to 31 seconds. Yhay's good! However, my actual start time (by the stop watch) nearly doubled from about one minute to nearly two (after pushing power switch "On" to a useable desktop). That's very bad! After shut down, with the power off, I wait at least 30 seconds before booting again.

I'm thoroughly baffled, what's going on here??? If I'm doing something wrong, or missing some thing, can someone help to explain what it is???

Best regards, Dick

another possibility, is to change your bios, to start with the C: drive, instead of checking for a CD, or a floppy. this will slash some time as well, you can always change it back if need be.

to change it, just hit the delete key, when the bios screen shows up, look for how to change the boot up process, each Bios is different.

Good luck

:cool:

Iceman, BIOS is already set to boot the C: hard drive first. CD boots next & floppy is turned off.

I guess nobody knows why what seems to be good advice is slowing down - rather than speeding up - my start up.

Forget what was posted above about startup. That was to get into the start menu.
Have you tried 'run\msconfig'? See what is loading at startup program wise. You might be able to disable a few of those.

Hipster Doofus, I only have a firewall in the "Start Menu" - nothing else. Thanks anyway.

No no no, not the 'start menu'. :eek: Go to start then run, type msconfig then go to 'startup'. You will see a list of programs that startup with the computer. If you are not sure of what is what take a screen shot & post it.

Hipster Doofus, Sorry I leaped before I looked.

There are 10 items in the "start up" menu, mostly stuff pre-installed by Hewlett Packard. I don't know what some of these are for, so I'm leary about fiddling with them.

I know how to do a screen bite & save it to a BMP file but can't seem to get it to attach to my reply. If you can tell me how to do it, I will.

Best regards, Dick

Click 'post reply' then look down on the left for 'Attach file'. Then browse to where it is on your harddrive & away you go. Most of that HP stuff if not all can be safely turned off. Try one at a time & see what happens. You can always turn it back on if needed.

I have just reread this thread & it seems that you have made a lot of changes Dick. Hopefully they are not starting to cause other issues. Anyway looking at you startup the first thing to disable (untick) is 'zonealarm'. That should boost your time significantly by just doing that. If it does, make a shorcut to zonealarm (I put mine in the quick launch tool bar) & click it just before going onto the net.
As for the other stuff I'm not sure what they do but you can do some trail & error. First do zonealarm, reboot, check your time. If you want a faster startup try & untick other things one at at time, rebooting making sure all is OK. You may be able to end up unticking all other things.
Upon rebooting you will get a box popping up saying something about startup. You can tick it so that it does not keep popping up every startup.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back