Slow shutdown problem...

M

MadDog986

I tryed to do a search for this but didnt find anything....

Is there a tweak to make WinXP shutdown faster?? :huh:

When i shutdown (using 'Shutdown' or pressing the button), it goes to a blue WinXP page that says "Saving Settings" or something like that and it takes forever!! Like 20-30 secs sometimes .... :eek: .... i want it to be an instant turn off. I know with W2k u can press shut down and its off in like 2 secs.

Any help would be great! Thanks in advanced! :happy:

go to registry
hkeylocalmachine>system>currentcontrolset>control
change the value of waittokillservicetimeout to a lower value 200~500....!
i change it to 100.... no prob...! ;)

this should make ur pc shutdown faster!

Heres some:

Fast shutdown

Another, if you are clearing the pagefile at shutdown, that will slow you down too.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management - ClearPageFileAtShutdown

if it's set to 1 it's on so you will have to modify it to 0

You think 20-30 seconds is bad? My dad's computer takes 2-10 minutes (literally) to shutdown. No idea why. The pagefile isn't being cleared on shutdown and the wait to kill service is set to 100. Just glad it's not my computer. ;)

Mine takes between 2 - 10 minutes as well, real pain in the butt

Thanks for the sugguestions! Ill give them a try... :happy:

I just HATE waiting for things when im on the comp, i cant stand waiting for something to happen. I have a 1.8ghz P4 comp and it just takes way to long to shut down. Latly ive just been holding the button on the comp tell it shuts off so i can reboot lol

Which one? The waittokillservicetimeout- tweak? Not that I heard of.
Why are you asking?

Something else to do>

Open the control panel/sounds & audio/sounds. Remove the 'exit windows' sound.

Originally posted by yoyo
Which one? The waittokillservicetimeout- tweak? Not that I heard of.
Why are you asking?

im talking about the first one. i want to try it, but i also want to know the risks involved

I made the adjustment in my regedit to 200 but it didn't help. It still takes 25 to 30 seconds to shut down. Also I looked in regedit where neonwizard described and I didn't find session manager in the control folder. I also have my windows exit sound removed. I'm guessing its a program I'm running. I did notice after removing the windows messenger my pages have loaded faster and the system overall more smooter. When I checked my running running processes and startup the only things different running are memory turbo, killer popup, and accelerate. I've run these before. ?

OK I found it. I was temporarily blinded. I'll change the value to 0 and see if that helps..

napalm...

OK, I changed the "clearpagefileatshutdown" value to 0 and I'm still getting about 20-25 seconds of blue screen before shutting down. I tried the other suggestions as well without any luck. I do have SP1 installed.

OK, any other ideas with improving the shutdown time in XP, because these tweaks aren't working for me. Before I used the program "Evidence Eliminator" my PC was shutting down in under 10 sec. Now its still taking about 30 to 35 sec.

i can understand if it took several minutes for the computer to shut down but what's so bad about 30-40 seconds? i never heard of a computer shutting down in 5 seconds before. i dunno....

Duh, Congrats Napalm, you naplmed yourself. What do you think evidence eliminator does????

It goes through all your files when you say shutdown and deletes all the junk windows stored in it's "lets narc on the user feature" (web surfing sites, etc.).

That is what is taking 20-30 seconds to shutdown.

Get rid of the Evidcence if you want a fast shutdown.

Originally posted by U2Penn
i can understand if it took several minutes for the computer to shut down but what's so bad about 30-40 seconds? i never heard of a computer shutting down in 5 seconds before. i dunno....

for me... 30 to 40 sec is very long! :(

Originally posted by LeeJend
Duh, Congrats Napalm, you naplmed yourself. What do you think evidence eliminator does????

It goes through all your files when you say shutdown and deletes all the junk windows stored in it's "lets narc on the user feature" (web surfing sites, etc.).

That is what is taking 20-30 seconds to shutdown.

Get rid of the Evidcence if you want a fast shutdown.

I don't use it anymore and did all my tweaks after the fact. I'm not that stupid leejend Dah-"ork"... And yes before I was having this problems my PC was shutting down in under 10 sec.

After doing a complete circle on this slow shut down problem, I've come to the conclusion that I should just leave the damn thing alone, so I reset all my original values for some very simple and basic reasons that someone mentioned in an original post I ignored. What happened to me If you shut down windows too quickly it doesn't allow for other programs to shutdown properly, and I was getting program shutdown warnings which XP forced to shut the programs down faster then what they're suppose to. Now I don't think that is too good for the programs.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back