Slow shutdown due to virtual memory?

A

afrodeziak

I tried disabling my virtual memory/page file one time and once I went to shutdown I noticed that it shut down instantly.
Now I have the virutal memory set back on and when I shut down it takes like up to a minute to shutdown

is the virutal memory the reason why it takes so long to shutdown?

P.S. I also have the "clear pagefile" on shutdown tweak set.

When you say the Clear PageFile is "set", I'm assuming its actually not set, ie. it has a Value of "0"

A setting of "1" will force the Paging File to be erased on shutdown and this takes time.

sorry for making myself unclear
It is set on "1" meaning it is on.

is it good to erase/clear the pageing file on shutdown?

Setting the Paging File to clear at shutdown is I suppose good for security. Other than that I can't see any good reason to wipe it. It takes time to wipe a Paging File at shutdown, and the bigger the Paging File, the longer it takes to wipe.
This is what's causing your delay at shutdown. Why not set it to "0" and and see the difference and decide what you prefer.

hey dirk...I agree, even for securities sake, if you have your firewall on, and trust the other people using the box, I don't see any reason for clearing the page file either,

edit

I thought there might be some performance advantage to not clearing the page file, but it looks like that's not the case

Originally posted by Dirk Diggler
Setting the Paging File to clear at shutdown is I suppose good for security. Other than that I can't see any good reason to wipe it. It takes time to wipe a Paging File at shutdown, and the bigger the Paging File, the longer it takes to wipe.
This is what's causing your delay at shutdown. Why not set it to "0" and and see the difference and decide what you prefer.

So why would clearing a page file be good for security?

well, if someone hacks your box, or someone using your box wnats to, they can read whatever's in the file

Originally posted by dealer
well, if someone hacks your box, or someone using your box wnats to, they can read whatever's in the file

what's the name of the file?

Clearing out the Pagefile also saves disk space and seems to boost performance.

On my comp it doesn't really matter anyway...I usually take off after I hit Shutdown and turn off my monitor.

Sorry Outback, but clearing the Paging File at shutdown will not save on disk space and will not boost performance.

DOUBLE D *Dirk Diggler* , Where can i get to off the clear pagefile? I've forgotten the place.

Make your way in your Registry to here:-
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ System \ CurrentControlSet \ Control \ Session Manager \ Memory Management

Double-click the word "ClearPageFileAtShutdown" and give it a Value of 1

In XP Pro you can also do this without reg hacking.
Go to Control panel Administrative tools, local security policy. then go to local policies ---> security options.
Then change the option for "Shutdown: Clear Virtual Memory Pagefile"

Originally posted by dealer
Pagefile.sys

How come when I do a Windows search for that file on my computer it comes up with no results.

The Pagefile.sys is a hidden, system file. In order to see it you will need to unhide it.
Open up "My Computer" click "Tools", "Folder Options", click the "View" tab, and put a spot in "Show hidden files and folders" and untick "Hide protected operating system files". Click "Apply" and "OK", then do a search for it making sure that you are searching for hidden files and folders in the "Advanced Options" of the search window.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back