Slow Office 2010 Performance

• Thread starter musicalfunctions
  • Start date
M

musicalfunctions

Hey all,
It's been ages since I logged on last... so long in fact that I've had to take on a new username because I have no idea what password i was using back in 2004 under my old username!!

I've installed office 2010 x64 on my windows 7 machine, and I'm experiencing very slow start up times for word and excel. It's the same issue even though below i'm just talking about word.

Problem:
I either open the program directly from the *.exe or I open an existing word document, the splash screen zooms through to the document - and then the program hangs for 10 seconds before I can do anything with it. I've been through the online MS help lists, removing addins from the registry...etc, turning things off, reinstalling office... the performance is replicated when my virus scanner is turned off (Kaspersky).

If word is already running, then opening files is really fast. super fast. I've got a quad core intel, 6gb of ram... and opening photoshop for example seems faster than opening word.

Google should be my friend on this issue, but it doesn't seem like anyone else is having this problem - so would very much welcome some ideas!

I was going to ask if you are running an anti-virus or not. I did some looking into this and found that it is an issue with the program. Hopefully they figure it out soon, as a lot of people are complaining about it.

Look here -> Word is slow to start, print, or load documents

This can happen to me in Office 2007. What I've found is that it's tied to explorer.exe hanging. If it doesn't open right away, I just click on My Computer and it loads right up.

thanks guys - i just ended up reinstalling windows 7 and office... problem solved... don't you hate that?!

at least it's running properly now.

sadly, sometimes that's the easiest way of resolving issues..

Reformat is always the last resort.

agreed - but it coincided with a new 2tb WD black hdd purchase... so wasn't the end of the world. I'm still holding off on SSD's for the moment.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back