Slow Loggin onto home network

S

shakes91

This issue was address before however i am unable to locate the thread.

I have this problem in my home lab/network. I running 2000 server with roaming profiles and have 3 clients. Ever since i changed my operating system on my clients to XP pro the time delay after entering your password can be up to 1 minute.

Can anyone offer a solution to this problem?

:confused:

I have the same problem logging into the domain controller at work. Try logging in to the local machine. Then go into My Network Places and double click the domain controller (the 2k server). It will prompt you for a password. Enter that password and check "Save Password." Keep logging on to the local machine at the logon screen, but if the computer needs to access domain resources, it will automatically use the password stored earler.

JJB6486

Shakes91,

Um, that isn't a particularly good idea for many reasons, but for right now let's stick to the original issue. Now, how is your name resolution setup on your network? Are you using WINS/DNS/DDNS/LMHOSTS file/Midgets/HOSTS file? Is this the only server that is running on the network, and if so is the Netlogon service (;) to Lactic.Acid on this) running? Is there a need for roaming profiles? For the time being, please don't persue the local machine logon option, as this will not let you immediately authenticate to other network resources.

JJB,

As for your issue, I pose the same question as to name resolution and access to the nearest DC. You could try modifying your LMHOSTS file with <serverip> <servername> #PRE #DOM to preload the file and make sure the local system recognizes it as a domain controller (if indeed it is). Most logon delays are related to credential authentication, so this is where I would start.

You know, i'm honestly not sure! :confused: I going to reinstall again (joys of a lab) move a couple of hard drives around and beef the server up.

I hope this time I get it closer to being installed the way i want it.

It's got to be so simple and right in front of me.
I mean it the server is installed correctly and the clients are configured correctly. Then the AD should populate on its owns, right?

I am not sure I follow what you mean. To "populate" AD would mean to add objects (like users) and containers (like groups) to the directory, whereas your issue could stem around simple name resolution which can break everything if not setup properly. Now, just as a hint, make sure to setup DNS (with Dynamic Updates enabled if using DHCP on the LAN) separately rather than using the quickie DNS setup option in DCPROMO. When DNS is setup in that manner, it is almost always broken. Also, make sure to enter the name and IP of any static system sitting on the LAN that you want to show up by name. And have you ever seen those "Zone Replication" tabs in the DNS MSC? Make sure those are ONLY set to replicate with other members of your AD so you don't get flooded out with sync requests from outside DNS boxes.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back