slow laptop to pc connection

AcftMecH

OSNN Addict
i have my laptop networked with my home pc. it transfers fast when i transfer from pc to laptop, but from laptop to pc it is really slow. any suggestions?

Primarily, make sure the slowdown isn't resource related, i.e PC with 2.8Ghz and laptop with P233Mhz etc.
(I am assuming you are running 2 100Mb/s cards (as you never specified your hardware))
If you, have them connected through a 100Mb hub/switch u need 100Mbs capable cables (Cat 5 and above)
If you have 100base-t connection between the PC and switch, then ideally you need to have the same the other side too. If not the laptop could be "autosensing the connection speed" and if you're running say a Cat4 cable from the laptop to the hub/switch then you could suffer slowdown/collisions.
Also look for firewall rules regarding you LAN environment on both PC's. They should both "trust" eachother.
Hope this helps a little. :)

more info

ok here is more info... i was in a hurry this morning =) had to do the old work thing.

laptop is a 2.4 ghz (XP Home)with 512mb memory with 10/100 mb lan card

home pc is 1.0ghz (XP Pro) with 512 mem and 10/100 mb lan card

they are connect via cross over cable sharing the same workgroup (hopefully i said that right) via tcpip.

I do internet sharing from my cable modem. it is directly connect to home pc. I use a netproxy program that enables me to do this. the laptop gets an ok connection... nothing like the home pc. oh yeah... and dont use a firewall.

hopefully that helps.

AcftMecH!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back