slow LAN upload

K

k0nartis06

My roommate is having problems with his upload speed on our university LAN...we have a T3 connection but he cant seem to upload files to other people at over 100K/sec...its strange because I can from across the room on my laptop. He's got a Dell Dimension 8100 with integrated networking...he recently replaced that with a Linksys card but that didn't solve anything. His network properties window says his network speed it 10Mbps while mine says 100Mbps. He's running Windows XP Professional. Any thoughts on how to bring his upload speed up?

Set up the NIC to support 100Mbps Full Duplex (if supported by card manufacturer).
New card might have imported previous networ setting. Alternatetively set the card to autodetect network speed and see what happens.
Most important if you don't use the integrated networking anymore disable it (not uninstall) on the Device Manager... don't think that two networking devices always work together better than one...
:)

That might even be a bad idea (no offence). First you need to know how the netowork is built. Is it a hub network or a switched network?

If it's a hub network, full duplex is dead wrong. Half duplex ONLY here. It's also important to have the right speed set (10/100). The wrong settings will severely lower the transfer speed for you and everyone on the same hub.

If it's a switched network you can use pretty much any setting. :) If it's switched, do what Rootz said.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back