Slow initial application launch time

leedogg

Gojyone kawaiiiiiiii!
I have this wierd problem where it takes FOREVER to launch applications for the first time, and then it seems to speed up slightly on multiple launches. Reboot and its back to incredibly long launch times...

any suggestions?

I have 1 Gig of ram =( and EnablePrefetcher is set to 3. I cant figure out what else it could be...

can you get a screenshot of the task manager when your computer first boots?

Is it the same wait time if you run an app right after boot compared to if you login and wait a few minutes?

I'm talking about long wait times, long after I boot up. I was watching my task manager and it seems like the first time i launch a certain app, it shoots up to 100% cpu, and hovers there until it launches, the 2nd and 3rd time it only goes to 80% or so...

Have you scanned for spyware and viruses?

Any rogue services running?

1) How long is long. App name and amount of seconds.

2) Have you defragmented your disk?

3) Is the disk a 7200 RPM

4) Is the disk capable of UDMA and the controller set to run UDMA?

5) Do you have your system and program files on a small seperate partition from your data or is everything on one huge partition?

5a) Check the spyware thing

5b) Are the program files on a seperate HD that needs to spin up when you load a new application?

6) Are you just getting too much caffiene maybe... ;)

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I'm clean of all that stuff. Some rare mystery virus is always a possibility, but I dont think so...any other settings/tweaks which affect application launch times?

LeeJend said:
1) How long is long. App name and amount of seconds.

2) Have you defragmented your disk?

3) Is the disk a 7200 RPM

4) Is the disk capable of UDMA and the controller set to run UDMA?

5) Do you have your system and program files on a small seperate partition from your data or is everything on one huge partition?

5a) Check the spyware thing

5b) Are the program files on a seperate HD that needs to spin up when you load a new application?

6) Are you just getting too much caffiene maybe... ;)

Its a 60gb ibm deskstar. yes its 7200. How can I check if its udma?

/edit nm found it, yeah primary channel is udma mode 5 for both device 0 & 1

System and program files on same hd (C). I defrag fairly often. think i just did one 2-3 weeks ago.

If it's 7200 it should be UDMA. Make sure that the Bios is set to use UDMA. I swear it used to say if you are running udma under device manager but I can not find it now. And you need the 80 pin (stiff) cable from MB to HD to run UDMA and ATA100.

I'll keep looking for where to check the drive speed settings

FOund ti. It's under device manager, ide controllers, right click properties and select the Primary channel tab. Should say ultra dma 5 100 ata (or 133 if your system supports it).

And if you have a cd/dvd on the secodn port on channel one it will slow the HD down. optical drives should be on IDE1 by themselves. HD on IDE 0.

hmm maybe i'll move the cd burner to another channel, its sharing my primary channel now...thanks for the suggestion

Modern boards support dual speed channels, so the CD??? shouldn't be a problem. But the cable might well be a factor in transfer. I have seen too many branded PC's that scrimp in the most minute of areas. Go to start-run and type this "perfmon.msc" w/o the quote marks. The blue line is your hard disk activity, or in queue length. What is the peak and average when you try to load the application and any other programs?

Avg was like 400, max was 804.010, peak was 100% over the entire delay period. That blue line is often peaking during my application launches...I think that may be it. what does that tell me?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back