slow down

T

TR!GG3R

is there prog that can tell me if i have bad ram or something else that could be causing my pc to act like a 486 ? :( heres the spec my pc

proc: amd athlon 2000xp
mem:256ddr (2100)
h/d: western digi 40gig 5400rpm
m/b:Msi
onboard sound :(
gfx: g-force 4 mx420 :(
any other info need will be given if asked but i need to sort out why its slowing down where a 486 could beat it :(
please help me :confused:

If your computer is really running THAT slow, then there has got to be something that is using up your resources. While bad RAM does exist, I would say it's extremely rare for it to just go bad, so I would look elsewhere for the problem.

First I would check what is running in the background. If everything in task manager and msconfig looks normal, then try booting into Safe Mode to see if your computer runs more smoothly there. Since many programs and services won't start up there, smoother operation would be a pretty good indication that something that normally runs is slowing you down.

Also, many viruses cause the problem that you are having. It's likely that you have an up-to-date antivirus program running at all times, but you might want to run a scan if you haven't already done so.

As far as software goes, I've always liked SiSoft's benchmarking tools. Perhaps you could get some information from one of those programs. And if this has just started happening recently, you might use System Restore (if running XP), to see if things go back to normal that way.

I know that you may have tried many of these options, but based on the details you provided, I just listed everything that I could think of. You might want to give more specifics, such as what you are running, in order to get more help. Good luck!

Well, the processes that you are running look pretty normal. Did you try any of my other suggestions, such as booting into Safe Mode?

yup no luck still sssssssllllloooooowwww (cries) :( looks like ill have to take it in for repair

Well, sometimes there's no easy solution. When I have that kind of problem, I reformat and start over... but that solution isn't for everyone.

Completely close MS Messenger, kill Ad-watch.exe, HprSnap5.exe, MsgPlus.exe, Amoumain.exe, DUMeter.exe, MPXPTRAY.EXE, and SAgent2.exe. Defrag your RAM then kill RAM_XP.EXE. If you computer acts significantly better, then it's probably one of those programs that's slowing stuff down.
Has your computer always acted this slow, or is this a recent thing? Also, to check your RAM, go into your BIOS and disable your quick-boot option.

u delted all temp files? fully defraged?

Has your computer always acted this slow, or is this a recent thing?
its just started in the last couple ov days say bout a week ago and the only new installed stuff is wmp9 and a couple ov games :huh:
u delted all temp files? fully defraged?
yes :( and it took about a hour ,ill try goin in to bios see if i can see sumit there :confused: cheerz for the info all :)

how bout trying running a couple of test 2 see what your hardware etc is rated as? also goto

start>>control panel>>performace + maintenence>>administrative tools>>event viewer

see if there are any error mesages/warnings there:cool:

maybe another stick of ram if you can afford it there is alot of user processes goin there just a thought

looked in bios nothing there when u say test wot test ? :huh:
and yes i will be gettin another stick ov ram but untill the compen money comes through im stuck :( when that comes through im getin hopefully a 120gig h/d g-force 4 ti 4200 8x and 512 stick ram and a faster writer ;) plus this pc is a currys prebuilt piece ov £$%* not a custom built like my last 1 :mad:

i mean u can download a tool such as belarc advisor + see all ur components + full details easyly. should alow u to see if a component is not getting picked up properly. i'm also wonderin if ur cpu clock speed is right. say it was 33 instead of 333 or sumin:p

I agree with shutting off unneccesary processes, but 32 is not an unreasonable amount. I have 30-35 running consistently and my specs are quite a bit lower, yet I have no problems. I do run Diskeeper every night though and run a disk cleanup every few days. These are good suggestions that have been made, and good recommended maintenance.

i mean u can download a tool such as belarc advisor
i did and nothing seems out of place :huh: but i think ill just have to reinstall to see if that helps if not the pc's goin in (cries) but thank u all for the good sugestions i have tried many ov them and still not found the problem :(

A better memory tester is memtest86. Get it here -> http://www.memtest86.com/
No registration or anything required.
I think getting some more memory will help you out. Try running some benchmarks in sisoft sandra and see if what component is lagging ie. memory, cpu, hdd.

try reformatting. my comp was like that too. but went fine after i formatted and reinstalled all my stuff. must of been some programs that did it

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back