slow computer

S

simon_w84

Can anyone help me,

i am currently having major problems with my computer because its running so slow.

I have a: HP Pavillion
AMD Athlon Xp 1800+
2x 256 P2100 DDR memory
Geforce4 mx 420 Graphics Card
200GB of hardrive space.
and running XP Home Edition.

When i boot my machine i have about 350mb off memory free, if i do anything in windows explorer or try to process a couple of programs at the same time, my memory drops down to under 50 MB and i get virtual memory error and my system dies, if i optimize the memory it is fine for awhile but then does the same again later on. When i look at task manager my System Idle Processes are reading 95 of my CPU when i'm not doing anything

Do i need an upgrade or something, i dont mind spending money if i have to, but don't know if there is anything i can buy to fix this??

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

buy another 256mb stick of ram

should sort out the problem

cool.gif

Are you sure that you have 200Gb of hard drive space available? This seems a bit large to me. 512Mb ram should not allow XP Home to become stressed even with a smallish drive (20Gb).

VME’s are usually caused by drive problems, are you using NTFS?

When you first install XP using large amounts of CPU time is normal (during idle time) if you have the disk indexing service enabled and for disk transaction timings, this will case after about four days or twenty hours use.

What are you using to establish you memory profile is to arrive at the conclusion that you have only 50Mb of memory available and what exactly are the virtual memory errors you have encountered (the actual message or memory dump)?

The system you have does not need upgrading just sorting.
:) :) :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back