Slow boot time

indyjones

OSNN.net Adventurer
Hi I was wondering if you can help me decrease my boot time as it currently takes ages.
Firstly i have used bootvis my sisters pc (both are XP PRO SP1) boots like a dream
But on my painfully more expensive system bootvis spazzes out saying "one or more services did not start" its a pain. Does any one know how to get my boot time down ? Thanks :)

Originally posted by indyjones
Hi I was wondering if you can help me decrease my boot time as it currently takes ages.
Firstly i have used bootvis my sisters pc (both are XP PRO SP1) boots like a dream
But on my painfully more expensive system bootvis spazzes out saying "one or more services did not start" its a pain. Does any one know how to get my boot time down ? Thanks :)

Do a google search for “BootVis-Tool.exe”. This will sort out the problem. Latest version
:)

I'd tried a bunch of stuff but turning this feature off really sped up my shutdown sequence. For pretty obvious reasons!!

Bootvis is the best bet for finding boot up sequence problems.

Code:
Hive: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE  
Key: SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Control/SessionManager/Memory Management  
Name: ClearPageFileAtShutdown  
Type: REG_DWORD  Value: 0

Here's a little trick that I was reminded of. Kill the .pf files under C:\Windows\Prefetch. I think bootvis does this automatically, but I'm not sure.

It does not matter anyway, a normal defrag will do and windows xp automatically aranges boot files for best performance in the background.
Hmm... then why did MS go to the trouble to create BootVis? And why did BootVis shave 6 seconds off my boot time?

Although I personally don't like the defragger, Diskeeper's boot defrag does seem to help. You can download the trial version and give it a shot.

WARNING TOO ALL

I used the 'great' diskeeper boot defrag a week ago. Guess what? Now I am running a clean system. Diskeeper screwd up all my files, all thanks to that one command. Watch it, as diskeeper can do a nice job, making everything super fast it can also screw up your system in the matter of minutes. Backup your stuff onto another hard drive/media before using diskeeper. I found out the hard way :( and in the end had to go through major processes to get some of my files back. Just a warning, use diskeeper at your own risk!

when my pc boot slow i use regvac to clean my registry and most of the times it boot way faster after that.

As mentioned before bootvis fails to compleate its processing is bootvis-tool.exe any different than the version linked on the main page of this website or is it mearly a diffrent version of the same file? I have using perfect disk 2000 and having that manage startup files but not to much avail :(

When I was using bootvis the first time I would get the error "Timeout while waiting for schedule service to
start
" I went into my Services.msc and started up the "Task Manager" again and it worked just fine. Maybe this is a similar error some of you are having.

Originally posted by chaos945
When I was using bootvis the first time I would get the error "Timeout while waiting for schedule service to
start
" I went into my Services.msc and started up the "Task Manager" again and it worked just fine. Maybe this is a similar error some of you are having.

Bootvis depends on Task scheduler service running (btw so do System Restore and Prefetch).
It also depends on
COM+ Event System
Event Log
Plug and Play
Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
Windows Management Instrumentation

I use this tweak to speed up my system and boot-up process:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management]

DisablePagingExecutive=1
Will load your core WinXP files into system RAM and keep them there. Use this tweak if you have 512MB RAM or more.

LargeSystemCache=0
For 512MB RAM or more set to 1 for potential performance improvement.

If you 512Mb RAM or more, use it. My usual boot time is around 15secs. :D

Originally posted by yoyo
Bootvis depends on Task scheduler service running (btw so do System Restore and Prefetch).
It also depends on
COM+ Event System
Event Log
Plug and Play
Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
Windows Management Instrumentation

Ahhh i may have it now! :) I know for a fact my Task scheduler service is disables as i have done that in tweax-xp pro:rolleyes:
I will also check the other services cheers yoyo!
Ragnarok i have this enabled already as i have a gig of ram. Cheers will give boot-vis another go. Has there been many versions mine is just the one for SP1 so i guess its fine.
Wil report back on any progress.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back