Sloooooow Startup

SkazzyUK

XP-erience Oldie
I have recently been getting these very very slow startups with almost no hard drive activity, after I log in the hard drive just has no activity for up to a minute, then everything comes up quick like usual.

I can't understand its a newish hard drive and is like empty part from the o/s (that is my boot hard drive) and that as well as the other hard drive are defragged, virus checked, scandisked often.

Any ideas why? my system is hardly what you would call slow, I know a format would probably sort this out, but my pc is at the stage that I think it is purrrrrfect.

SkaZZy:D

At what point does the system slow down? If it's just as the gui is loading, try disabling the Workstation Service (unless you are on a network).

Yea u log in then it just shows my backround image and nothing else then it hangs at that for up toa min, the the taskbar and icons appear. I am on a network :(

Any other ideas?

If it's really 10 minutes then something is clearly wrong. It does take network systems longer to boot because the network services & protocols have to load, but not 10 minutes by a long shot. You said this only started recently - did you do anything just before it started (new sw, hw, tweaks, whatever)?

Regardless - see if you have a restore point from just before the problem arose and try to revert to that. Just as a thought for the future - if you have an image of your boot drive that is up to date (and at a time when the system is running well), you can always reload that image. I know that doesn't help now, but it's somthing to consider down the road.

Try this...

I had a similar problem which came from nowhere i thought it was my firewall for a while as it was always the last thing to load and i gave up on it untill i installed SP1 and as by magic it fixed itself,the only other thing is if its something to do with Dhcp sending a request and hanging untill it timeouts...do a search on this as you may find some more info.

Can you get onto ctrl-alt-del to see what is running as you may have a programe using 100%cpu time up so slowing up the final boot sequence.

See if this does anything>

Correcting System Hang at Startup

If your system hangs about 2 or 3 minutes at startup, where you can't access the Start button or the Taskbar, it may be due to one specific service (Background Intelligent Transfer) running in the background.
Here's what to do:

1. Click on Start/Run, type 'msconfig', then click 'OK'.
2. Go to the 'Services' tab, find the 'Background Intelligent Transfer' service, disable it, apply the changes & reboot.

Hi,

Have you checked your logfiles?

START > Run > eventvwr.msc > OK

See if you can find any problems there. It sounds to me like a service is unable to start and is getting timed out on your PC.

Kind regards,
Willem Moolenaar

Your computer was not able to renew its address from the network (from the DHCP Server) for the Network Card with network address 0050FC54A026. The following error occurred:
The semaphore timeout period has expired. . Your computer will continue to try and obtain an address on its own from the network address (DHCP) server.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

is an error that repeats itself, it is unique on my network tho,

And..

The PDP2222.sys PDIUSBD12 Bulk IO test driver service failed to start due to the following error:
The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

and the last one was

The Computer Browser service terminated with service-specific error 2550 (0x9F6).

any idea what that means?

SkaZZy

I get that sometimes...

I got this earlier this morning too had to click fix network ...Event Type: Warning
Event Source: Dhcp
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1003
Date: 31/10/2002
Time: 07:13:42
User: N/A
Computer: GAMECUBE
Description:
Your computer was not able to renew its address from the network (from the DHCP Server) for the Network Card with network address 00301BAB4A31. The following error occurred:
The semaphore timeout period has expired. . Your computer will continue to try and obtain an address on its own from the network address (DHCP) server.

Single pc on cable modem.

Have you got a IDE controller card for your motherboard? I tried using the one I got with my Maxtor harddrive and it must not have liked my motherboard for some reason. (ATA 133 Card on an old Intel CA810E motherboard (i got it for free)) and my computer would take forever to boot but when I plugged my IDE cables into the onboard IDE controllers it would boot like it's supposed to... But if you don't have an IDE contoller card then don't worry about it.

Nope don't got one of those, Its not the problem with slow bootup its only with the taskbar and icons load up after log-in,

No, no cruiser78 thanx for replying I know your just trying to help me out,

I have fixed it now,

I did what Hipster Doofus told me to do and it boots fine now, Hipster what exactly was it that I have disabled?

And anyone wanna tell me that program that decreases your boot time it was called something like bootvis cos my pc could do with booting a little faster ;)

Cheers People,

I know you know I'm just trying to help... I'm just buggin you cause I didn't have the solution (thus you "ignored" it)
you see now ;)
ya... the program your looking for is Bootvis, search for it at the microsoft site.

Don't ask me what it does. I ain't got a clue. :eek: Good to hear it worked though. As for bootvis look at the front page on the left for 'bootup tuner'. :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back