Slipstreaming vs. Ghost Image

Jesse

OSNN Newbie
Hello,

I am hoping to get some feedback on the pros and cons of both backup methods.

I would really like to make a clean install of the os and apps on my c drive as fast and trouble-free as possible. Never having used either one I dont see any practical difference between the two. Educate me:)

Thanks very much,

Jesse

Slipstream is when you integrate a application into a Operating system. Ghost image is an image of the CD. The diff is that with the slipstream you don't always everything, you in most cases, will have reinstall drivers etc. With the ghost image, it is exactly how you want it. You will not need to reinstall anything, as long as it is how you like it. It also takes about five minutes for a ghost image, and depending on the speed of your computer about an hour to reinstall the os, and put all the things that slip couldn't ..

That is what I meant, Typing faster than I was thinking ..

There are pros and cons to each approach, and one can be a better option than the other, depending on the scenario.

The advantage of a drive image is that the backup and restore process is extremely fast. You can usually get from start to a fully running system with all your drivers and applications installed, and all your settings configured, in less than 15 minutes. A drive image, on the other hand, is not a suitable choice if you are the kind of person who changes hardware often. It wouldn't work at all if you happened to swap out your existing motherboard for a new one. More than likely, you'd end up with a STOP error (aka a BSOD) at startup.

I'd personally recommend going with both options - create a slipstreamed Windows CD with the latest service pack integrated, along with all the hotfixes available at the time you decide to create it. That way, if you ever need to start afresh, you don't have to go through the trouble of installing SP's and countless hotfixes. Also create a drive image of your setup after you've installed all your commonly used applications. The latter is the best way to go if something suddenly goes wrong and you need to revert the system.

It's a real practical difference. I can recommend you to point out, that I always use system backup software. I create an exact image of my HDD with clean installed OS and apps. It takes me about 10 min. Then I make a bootable CD (due to compression it takes not much space), which could restore system without booting Windows, and another image copy I keep on my PC. I think it's the easiest and the most safely back up method. I've never had any problem with it.

Most of what I will say has already been mentioned, but I agree with NetRyder that both make a good combination. Slipstreaming with SP2 and hotfixes is definitely a good idea, as an un-patched PC can, in a worst-case scenario, become infected within 2 minutes of connectivity. Hard to believe, but I've seen it myself. If you have a CD that is patched to a relatively recent level, this will allow you you to be close to 100% on the Windows Security side before even connecting to the internet.

That being said, using Ghost takes this process a whole lot further. Regardless of daily applications such as Office, E-mail, and perhaps a Media Player, normally one would install Anti-Virus protection and perhaps a software firewall, if a hardware version is not in place. Being able to restore to this state, rather than just with Windows patches, is obviously a better result.

Take note, however, that if/when you restore to that image, virus and other security patches are only updated to the day the image was created. If you have the overhead, I suggest you use an image machine. I have a special computer that is nothing but for my image at home, and I boot to it about once a month for maintenance, patching etc.

Again, each has their place, and each is almost a critical tool in maintaining a Healthy PC.

Thanks to everyone for the info.

Looks like the best bet for my application will be a ghost image.

Thanks again,

Jesse

Jesse said:
Thanks to everyone for the info.

Looks like the best bet for my application will be a ghost image.

Thanks again,

Jesse

I would recoment Acronis true image myself, but, that is just is just me. Then again, you will see some others on here who feel the same. Of course, it is one of those perosnal pref things ,,,

Like mentioned, ghosting (or imaging for those people who dont like Ghost) takes a snapshot of your current harddrive/partition (which ever you choose) and creates a file or files which later can restore your computer to exactly as it was when you made the image.

The only negative about this is that it will also revert back to any older drivers that were installed when the image was created. It also is computer specific meaning that you can't use the same image on another computer. Unless it is 100% the same. (cept for maybe ram, hard drive)

I just wanted to add that. :p

Admiral Michael said:
Like mentioned, ghosting (or imaging for those people who dont like Ghost) takes a snapshot of your current harddrive/partition (which ever you choose) and creates a file or files which later can restore your computer to exactly as it was when you made the image.

The only negative about this is that it will also revert back to any older drivers that were installed when the image was created. It also is computer specific meaning that you can't use the same image on another computer. Unless it is 100% the same. (cept for maybe ram, hard drive)

I just wanted to add that. :p

Not entirely true, I maintain a Ghost Image for all Dell Computers and Laptops. This can be done using Sysprep.

You are right though, for the home user, that does apply.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back