Slipstreaming SP2 RC2 into your install

Petros

Thief IV
Make SP2 part of your install

There are plenty of guides on the internet on how to do this, and many folks know already, but I want this to be the definitive, all-in-one-post guide on how to do it, from extraction to ISO.

It’s easy and timesaving to integrate SP2 into your Windows install. Here’s how to do it, and how to make a bootable XP CD! And if you have ever gotten those "cannot copy [name of file]" errors during your install, the last paragraph here tells how to prevent that.

First, download the network version of SP2 and extract all the files in it (for more advanced users, whatever folder you like, of course :)). This can either be done with Winzip, WinRar, or just by clicking run and typing “C:\XPsp2.exe –x” (assuming you downloaded SP2 to C:\). It will let you choose a folder to install. You can put it in "C:\sp2" for the purposes of this guide.

Once the files are extracted, make another folder and copy your Windows XP CD to C:\xpcd (advanced users, wherever). Now click “Start”, go to “Run”, and type “c:\sp2\i386\update\update.exe /s:c:\XPCD”. When it gets done, you’ll be able to burn those files back to a CD and SP2 is now a part of your install.

To make a bootable XP CD:
Use CDimage, attached to this post. If you slipstreamed it to the folders I listed, just run "ISO Creator for WinXP Pro.cmd". More advanced users, edit the file to reflect the changes you made. Mastering your CD with CDimage prevents nasty file copying errors during your XP install.

Thanks to Aaron XP for this CDimage script, and for all the wonderful work he's done at http://unattended.msfn.org

Attachments

• CDimage.rar
    45.6 KB · Views: 61
I think I am gonna wait for the final version before I start doing this.
Also intend to manually add my SATA drivers to save me from a load of hassle with floppy drives... and while I do that, I may as well enter some of the details and make it semi-unattended.

is there any way of automating stufff like language settings, keyboard layout, timezone etc?

Electronic Punk said:
Also intend to manually add my SATA drivers to save me from a load of hassle with floppy drives... and while I do that, I may as well enter some of the details and make it semi-unattended.

How do you do that?

Cause that's all i use my floppy for

Electronic Punk said:

Same here. Good guide, nonetheless. Will save me some searching later.
Thanks Unwonted.
smile.gif

Updated instructions for new XP install, and added CDimage, a useful and easy tool for ISO mastering. Could a mod please change the thread title to read "Make SP2 part of your install"? Thankies!

Just curious, can you use a disc with SP1a already slipstreamed, or should you just use straight XP?

dreamliner77 said:
Just curious, can you use a disc with SP1a already slipstreamed, or should you just use straight XP?
Either one works fine.
smile.gif

Mathachew said:
I was wondering the same as dreamliner. Is SP1a a requisit for SP2?
No, SP2 is a cumulative update. You can apply it to a non-SP1/SP1a system as well.

I use nLite as well... I just created a semi-unattended CD with it and found it to be infinitely easier than doing all the work myself... I guess I'm just lazy. :p Or perhaps "efficient" is a better term.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back